Invisible | Peter Parker [TH]

There was never a moment where you didn't feel lonely. It hit you when you woke up to a total of zero text messages in your inbox. It stayed with you when your mother kissed you goodbye and you knew that would be your only human contact for the day. It tortured you through the halls of the school as you walked by people who didn't even know your name while you knew exactly who their best friend was and every secret that whispered near you. It was glued to you as you went to bed, tears slipping down your cheeks as you realized you'd have to fight another day.

You were completely invisible to everyone around you. No one took notice of you in the halls or looked to hear your opinion on a specific topic. No one greeted you or bid you goodbye, no one acted like you mattered or were even there.

It was a life you had grown accustomed to ever since you started high school, but never quite got used to the pain of.

You longed for a friend, for someone your age to relate to. You wished there was someone that could look at you and smile, talk about your favorite music and books, go to the movies with you or invite you over for a sleepover.

You wished for anything and anyone.

On your way to Chem, you passed by Michelle Jones. You felt most comfortable around her because you knew she kept her judgements quiet and to herself. She was a wallflower like you. Still, she did not notice you.

You ducked your head down and walked into class, gazing over at the teacher at her desk. She smiled at you and you smiled back.

There. That was it. That was the only bit of human contact you get at school.

You sat down at your lab table. You sat alone, which was fine. It gave you more space to put your books and didn't force you to sit uncomfortably with someone that didn't want to be there.

You observed for a while. Girls gossiping, guys laughing, conversations you weren't a part of. You looked away when Flash Thompson threw an eraser at a girl named Beth's head.

You opened up your notebook and started to doodle to pass the time. You had just drawn and shaded your seventh heart balloon when the bell rang and the teacher stood.

She greeted everyone as she picked up a stack of packets from her desk. She started to pass them out, whistling to herself as she did so.

You took your packet and placed it in front of you. Your heart sank as you read the bold print at the top.

PARTNER PROJECT

Your face burned red. You knew no one would be your partner. You were the odd number in the class, the one that was always left out. It hurt.

As everyone went to find their partners, you opened up your packet to the first page and wrote your name on the top.

"Peter Parker," the teacher said, glancing up from her laptop. "Ned isn't here today. You can work with ___ for the project."

At the mention of your name, you panicked. Your gut dropped, a similar feeling you get when you miss a stair in the dark. You looked up and saw Peter grab his things and sigh heavily, already upset with his partner.

Your stomach hurt. Even Peter Parker hated the thought of being near you, and you always thought he was one of the better guys at Midtown.

You moved your books and he room a seat next to you. He gave a crappy attempt at a smile and scooted in, flipping his packet open to the first page.

It was silent for a few minutes. You watched him rub his eyes tiredly and yawn.

"U-Uh-" you stopped, clearing the scratch from your throat. You literally never spoke in school. "I'm working on the first question right now, if you want to work on the second."