We Don't Need Approval | Flash Thompson [TR]

"Dad, I'm home!" you called out, stepping in through the front door of Stark Tower.

"Hey-" Tony Stark, your dad, started.

"And Flash is too!" you shouted, and he stepped in right behind you, hand holding yours.

Tony stepped towards the door, his smile faltering and his hand dropping. "Oh-h."

Flash smirked, but seeing the reaction on his girlfriend's dad's face made him a little uneasy. He thought that Mr. Stark had liked him. They had gotten along well enough when they went out to dinner with you and Pepper just a few weeks ago.

"H-Hey, sir," he greeted.

Pepper came in, smiling sweetly. "Oh, hello, Flash! How great to see you. Isn't it great to see him, Tony?" She touched Tony's back as she passed by, prompting him to agree.

"Oh yes, yes," he said. He was lying through his teeth. "Yes, it's great."

"Flash and I were going to study in the kitchen," you told him, helping Flash out of his coat.

"Sounds great." His smile was visibly forced.

You nodded. "We have midterms this week, so-"

"So I am going to be elsewhere," Tony said, stepping back. It wasn't that he didn't like Flash, it was just that looking at him reminded him that it wasn't his job to protect his little girl anymore. "So you kids can have time alone or whatever-"

"Plus you have a visitor coming," Pepper chimed from the sofa.

Tony nodded. "That is right, we have company coming!"

"We do?" you asked, tilting your head. "Who?"

"Peter," Tony said. "For, you know, Stark internship things."

You blanched, Flash snapped his head around to look at you, and your jaw dropped.

"Peter?" you both shouted at the same time.

Tony nodded, eyeing you and Flash as he leaned in and whispered something to you. You shook your head and hissed back, face red. He gestured to you and Flash.

"I'm sorry, is there some problem here? Am I about to get myself mixed into a bunch of teenage drama? Because please keep me out of it."

You looked away from Flash, your eyes sad. "Peter doesn't know that I'm dating Flash, and I don't think he'll take it well." You pulled your hand from Flash's and crossed your arms. "So, uh, we'll just study another time, Flash."

He froze. "What?"

Tony nodded. "Great, so I'll see you another time. Goodnight, Flash - have a safe trip home," he sang, turning around and walking to the couch next to Pepper.

You swallowed. "If Peter is coming over-"

"Who cares! Screw Peter!" he shouted, but seeing the hurt that filled your eyes, he calmed down. "I-I'm sorry. I just mean- I know he's your best friend. But he's so protective over you that it's gross."

"He cares about me," you said softly, "and I'm afraid that if he sees you and I together, he won't anymore." There were tears in your eyes.

Flash's face fell. "Are you... are you embarrassed of me?" he asked, voice broken.

"No," you said quickly. "No, Flash- I- you... you know how I feel about you." You avoided the word love like the plague, and Flash noticed. "But Peter is my best friend and I know he cares about me mostly for the sake of staying on my dad's good side, but... if he doesn't-" You cut yourself off, fiddling with your fingers and wringing your hands. "It's important that he wants to be my friend, you know? And you and I are sort of a package deal now."