Where Are You Christmas? | Peter Parker [TH]

Your day started off a little rough when Ned came to school wearing a Santa hat. It was ridiculous to be upset about it, but you were. How was Christmas this close already? You suddenly didn't like the taste of the hot chocolate in your mouth. You handed your cup to Peter, telling him he could finish it.

"Thanks," he said, cheerful as ever. He leaned against the set of lockers and took a long sip. "Hey," he complained, "no peppermint."

You forced a smile and nudged him. "Stop whining, you big baby."

He grinned at you and then fake pouted. Ned, meanwhile, was ranting about all of the dozens of plans he had this season.

"First, Mom's on Christmas Eve. Then Dad's on Christmas. Then, my dad is driving me upstate to visit my grandparents Christmas night," Ned said. "Honestly, it's gonna suck."

Your heart beat painfully. How could someone say that? What would you give for one more day, one more Christmas -

"I'm sure it won't be bad," Peter said. "I think May and I are going to attempt to make dinner this year. She has this new recipe for stuffing and she's excited, but the last recipe she tried on Thanksgiving really tasted awful, so-" He stopped and laughed, then looked at you. "What about you, ___?"

"Oh," you said, shrugging. "I don't know."

Peter furrowed his eyebrows. "You don't know?"

"No," you replied.

Ned tilted his head. "Christmas is in a week. How do you not know what you're doing?"

"I... didn't know it was so soon," you said.

Ned cracked a smile. "But don't you have traditions?"

"No," you said. "Not anymore." You stared at the floor for probably too long before taking in a deep breath. "I, uh, am gonna go. See ya." You turned and went down the hall, eyes burning.

You just wanted Christmas to be over.

Peter, on the other hand, was excited. Of course the holidays were bittersweet. Uncle Ben had been such a huge part of them (and of their everyday lives) but time healed. Nothing would ever be the same, but he was growing comfortable with the new normal he and his aunt had.

He recognized the grief growing hard in your eyes.

At lunch, while Ned was still in line for food, Peter sat next to you. He nudged you gently with his elbow and leaned close.

"Hey," he said. "You really don't have plans for Christmas?"

You shook your head. "No. My parents are out of town," you told him.

He frowned. "Like last year?"

"Uh-huh."

He pulled his bottom lip into his mouth. He felt so horrible for you. He understood how you felt, how he felt that first Christmas, when May had taken the night shift because it was too hard to be home for Christmas without Ben there -

"Come over for our Christmas, then."

You looked at him. "What?"

"We have dinner," he said. "And presents... and a lot of traditions." He smiled warmly. "It'll be fun and so awesome if you came."

"Oh, I don't know," you said.

"___, please?" He touched your arm, then pulled his hand back, blushing.

You looked empty. "Peter, I don't want you to invite me because you have, like, pity for me. I'll survive this, you know-"

"No, I know that and I know you will. This isn't out of pity. It's just.. I know how hard it is and I know how much harder it's going to be without your parents home, so just come hang out with me."