Take It From Me | Peter Parker [TH]

The whole world faded away as you turned the corner. Peter's brown eyes widened, wet at the corners as they softened. Absentmindedly, you brushed your hair off your shoulder, annoyed by the few strands sticking to your red lipstick.

"Yo, Peter," Ned said. He leaned close to his friend's ear. "She's looking right at you. She can totally see you gawking at her."

Peter's face burned. He didn't turn away until you were close in front of him. You grinned and hugged your books to your chest.

"Hey, Peter," you said.

Sucked back into reality, Peter blinked. He stammered before he managed to choke out a coherent sentence. "Hey... hey. Hey."

You raised your eyebrows. "Uh, you feeling alright?" you laughed softly.

Ned planted a hand on Peter's shoulder. "He's been like this since this morning. Coffee, I think."

You nodded. "Ah... okay. Um, Peter, I hope you don't care, but I'll be ordering pizza for us tonight instead of picking up some takeout. I hope that's okay."

"Uh, yeah, that would be fine. But actually I can't do the studying thing tonight. I've got to be with Tony again-"

"Oh." As much as you tried to hide it, disappointment turned your lips down. You looked forward to hanging out with Peter every Friday. He made night-ins so much better. "That's okay."

Peter opened his mouth then shut it again. You looked so disappointed. He wanted to take back everything he said. It was all pretty much a lie, anyway.

The only reason he wasn't letting you over was because he was embarrassed. In a matter of months, he had fallen so head over heels in love with you that it was horrifying.

He had told you things hardly anyone knew about him, like his second life as Spider-Man and his guilt over the death of Uncle Ben. He never learned to keep things to himself - not even his own insecurities. You were just too easy to talk to and too pretty.

There was no way the feelings could be mutual.

"Maybe I can, uh, cancel," he stumbled over his words, holding up his hands. "I mean-"

"Oh gosh, Peter, no," you said. "I have you every Friday. If Tony needs you, he needs you. Just tell him I said hi, okay?"

"Okay," he said, nodding. He felt a little better when a smile stretched the dimples on your cheeks, but there wasn't that sparkle in your eye. "I'll text you."

You nodded and walked around them, saying a see you later to Ned, who grinned.

Peter whipped his head towards his friend. "You're hanging out with her?" he said defensively.

Ned widened his eyes. "Relax, dude. She's my friend too." He chuckled. "And anyway, she's totally hung up on you."

"She is not," Peter mumbled.

Ned jerked his thumb over his shoulder. "You saw her reaction when you ditched her, right? I thought that lip couldn't come out any further."

Peter ran a hand nervously through his curls. "I feel so bad."

"As you should. You totally blew her off. Plus she's hot, so you're a total idiot."

"Thanks, man," Peter said, nodding.

"No problem. Anyway, I gotta get to the library. Have fun at Tony's."

Peter sighed. He felt nothing but regret as he adjusted his backpack on his shoulders and headed out of school.