There's Nothing I'm Not Worthy Of | Peter Parker [TH] / Flash Thompson [TR]

You stood in front of the counter in the cafeteria, watching the lunch lady spoon ladles of chili into your bowl. Flash Thompson stepped up next to you and handed over his tray, too. You tried to keep your face indifferent, but your heart quickened in speed.

"Hi," he said, then softer: "I was going to tell you before first period. You look really pretty today."

"Thanks," you mumbled. Your tray was handed to you, a piece of toast plopping on the surface of your chili.

Before you could reach for them, Flash handed you three packs of oyster crackers. You smiled and placed them on your tray.

"I want to see you tonight," you said. "We haven't had a date all week."

"I know," he said. "It sucks." He looked around to be sure no one was around. "Tonight is my party. You're still going, right? And I'll take you to dinner on Sunday."

"Yes, I'll be there," you said.

"Good," he said. "I would cancel it of you weren't. See ya, babe." He walked by, brushing his shoulder against yours.

You ducked your head so no one could see you blush.

...

"You're seriously going," Ned, your best friend, said. He was sitting on the side of your bed next to Peter while you rummaged through your closet.

"Yes, I'm seriously going," you said. You pulled out a light blue top and held it to you. "This one, maybe?"

Peter huffed and fell back on your bed. "___, this is dumb."

"It's not-"

"It is." He sat up. "First of all, we can't give you fashion advice. Second of all, you've been dating Flash for a month and he hasn't told anybody. No offense, ___, but it's like he is embarrassed of you." Peter winced when he said this.

You lowered the shirt and blinked at him. "Why... why would you say that? Why would he be embarrassed of me?"

"I don't know," he said awkwardly.

"Because we're your friends, maybe," Ned said.

You turned away.

"___, we're not saying he is, but you've been together for a while now and everyone at Midtown still thinks his girlfriend is someone from Brooklyn," Peter reminded you. "I don't know, I was just-"

"Implying that there's a reason to be embarrassed of me," you finished for him.

"No! I-"

"He's not embarrassed of me, okay? He loves me. You don't know him as well as I do. Flash isn't the mean guy you think you know - he's nice and he cares about me. He just doesn't want this to be public, you know? It's just me and him, and it's nice."

"Okay," Peter said, looking at Ned. "We're sorry. We just don't want your feelings to be hurt."

"They won't be," you assured him, but right now, you were starting to doubt yourself.

...

Flash's party was filled with literally every student in Midtown. It was so crowded that you probably mumbled excuse me a dozen times before giving up on trying to talk over the music.

You turned to Peter, who was holding a slice of pizza and looking nervous as he stood at the side of the living room. Ned was taking long drinks of his soda, probably trying to distract himself from not knowing what to do.