Boy, You'd Better Do It Soon | Peter Parker [TH]

You wrapped your fingers tightly around the paper cup of hot coffee. Using one hand, you reached behind you head and yanked your hood over your head. It seemed useless; the rain would somehow soak through your raincoat. That was just your luck here in Queens.

You pushed open the glass doors of the small café and stepped outside. The rain hit you in the face suddenly, a gust of wind tempting you to turn around and go right back inside the heated café.

Instead, you let the door close and turned to the direction of the bus stop.

On your way there, you blew delicately on your coffee. Your latte was too hot to drink but your cold and aching bones yearned for the tiny bit of warmth it would offer. The scent of vanilla and cinnamon didn't help much either; it provided a homey scent that made your heart feel at peace.

You sighed longingly, daydreaming about how warm and nice your bed would feel when you got home. You would strip yourself of the damp clothes that were sticking to your body and throw on a pair of sleep shorts and a sweatshirt.

Someone bumped into you, sending your coffee to the sidewalk without a chance of saving it. You gasped, hearing the sound of the lid pop off against the ground.

"Oops!" a voice of a young woman said.

You looked up. The woman was standing in front of you, her arms around the man that was practically attached to her hip. He had an arm around her shoulders and a hand on her arm. They were still smiling, an unheard joke hovering between them.

They were soulmates and it was clear.

"I'm sorry," the man said, but he looked too happy to be sorry.

"It's fine," you mumbled.

All of a sudden, you weren't sad about the latte that was getting washed away by the rain or the fact that you had just wasted your last four dollars on a cup of stupid coffee. You were sad because now you were staring at a pair of people so in love while you had no one.

The people walked around you, mumbling lovingly to one another and laughing softly. You turned your head and watched them, not out of bitterness, but out of longing.

You were painfully aware of the nothingness your hand held and the fact that no lips had graced yours in years. You had a boyfriend once. He was a kid in your music class in tenth grade and he insisted that you were his soulmate.

You should have known he wasn't. There was no click the first time you looked into his eyes and there was no love in your heart the first time he kissed you with his chapped lips and his braces that hurt your teeth when he knocked his mouth against yours too hard.

You hadn't dated since then, hoping to save every other first you had for your soulmate. He would be the only one that would ever matter.

Facing day after day became increasingly more difficult without your soulmate. You felt empty without him. You had never met the boy your soul was connected to but you already loved him endlessly.

So if you loved him, why wasn't he at your side right now?

You thought of whoever he was daily.

Where was he? Why hadn't you found him yet? Was he even real?

He had to be real. Everyone had a soulmate.

But what if you never found him?

Someone else bumped into you, knocking you off the curb. The man with a long coat muttered a curse word towards you while you stared blankly at him.

You had landed in a puddle. The rain had filled your boots. Your socks were so soggy that you felt like crying.

You stepped back on the curb and started to walk down the sidewalk again. The sidewalks were so packed with people eager to get out of the rain that it was impossible to see in front of you or walk quickly.