It's Too Cliche (Part Two) | Peter Parker [TH]

Despite your reluctance to like Queens and Midtown High, you fit right in for the most part. It didn't take long for you to make other friends besides Peter and Ned, and although you could never like anyone as much as you did them.

It also didn't take long to get involved in school gossip, as much as you tried to keep away from it. By your second month at the school, your name was being circled around. It wasn't necessarily bad gossip - just some rumors that Flash Thompson was going to ask you out. But with Flash's reputation and the way people talked, it seemed like he was already your boyfriend.

As if. You barely saw Flash as a friend. He was your lab partner in Chemistry and sometimes he was nice enough to deserve a text or two from you. That was it.

You were walking in the hallway with Peter, laughing at an inside joke, your hand on his arm, your bodies leaning close. He gently placed a hand on your shoulder, his eyes and nose scrunched up as he laughed as quietly as possible.

To you and Peter, this was normal. He often brushed his hands across yours or even held your hand so you wouldn't get separated from him in the crowded hall. You never thought anything of it. To anyone else, this was flirting.

Even one of your closest friends, a small, talkative girl named Sonya, thought it was weird. She ran over to you and placed a hand between you and Peter, eyes wide.

"I can't believe this," she gushed, her eyes twinkling like she just saw the most amazing thing in her life.

"What is it?" you asked, your laughter dying out.

"Flash actually lets you flirt with boys?" she asked.

You blinked. "I... don't know why he would that - i-if I was flirting," you continued, glancing at Peter, hands up in defense, "which I'm not."

Peter looked at you curiously then waved his hand dismissively. "Psh. Yeah, totally not. We're just friends." He nodded, stepping a little to the side (and away from you). He stuffed one hand in his pocket and ran the other through his curls. "Uh, why? D-Do you like Flash?" He glanced at you, face pale.

"No," you said.

"Weird," Sonya said, lifting her bony shoulders. "Because he told everyone in sixth period that you were super into him when you danced with him at Margo's party."

You blanched. "What?"

Peter stared at you. "You went to Margo's party?" he asked.

"Yeah, but for, like, a second," you said. "Everyone was drunk and I don't want to be involved in that. Plus Margo wanted me to watch her because she would be drinking but I never found her." You shook your head. "Anyway, why is Flash saying these things? I didn't even talk to him at the party."

"I totally believe you," Sonya said, but she totally didn't. "But no one else does. Everyone things you and Flash are a thing and you hanging out with other boys..." She pointed to Peter and Ned, who had just approached the conversation. "It isn't looking good for you." She shrugged again and smiled. "Sorry. Text me later, 'kay?" She skipped off.

You stared at the floor, frustration etched on your face. Peter looked from the back of Sonya's head to you. He put a hand on your arm.

"Hey... are you okay?"

"Why would Flash say that? Is he trying to blackmail me into dating him?"

"The guy is pretty hung up on you," Ned said.

"Why? Why me?" you spoke with disgust. "I'm just... anyway, he has no right to do that. And if he thinks that this will help his chances - ugh. I wouldn't even date him because he's an absolute jerk to you guys!" You sighed, cutting yourself off. "But I thought he was an okay guy to me at least... oh well." You lifted your arms up, hoping your voice wasn't too shaky as you forced out a laugh. It came out dry. "You know how men are. They think no means yes and get lost means take me, I'm yours."

Peter frowned. "___... I'll talk to him and make him knock it off."

"Peter," you breathed, shaking your head. "You couldn't intimidate anyone, no offense. I'll be okay. Like I said, I'm a tough girl." You started to back away. "I-I need to talk to, uh, my math tutor the before I head home. I'll see you guys later."

Peter couldn't do anything as he watched you turn around and walk off, hands shaking to hide the anger and sadness festering inside of you. He was suddenly livid that Flash would even think to use you as his next way to get attention. As soon as the thought popped up in his head and Flash could be heard laughing as he walked out of the Biology classroom, Ned was fast to grab his arm.

"Dude, don't-"

Peter was already gone, his hands fists at his sides. He fixed his jaw tight and repeated be normal! be normal! in his head.

"Hey, Parker," Flash said, eyeing him up. "Jeez. What's got your panties in a bunch?" He snorted.

"Why are you saying that stuff about ___?" he demanded. "You knock it off, Flash, or I'll-"

"You'll what?" he asked, leaning forward. "It's just a joke, Parker. Relax."

"It's not a joke to her! It makes her look bad. I don't think it's funny."

Flash rolled his eyes. "Oh of course you don't think it's funny. Poor Parker never feels like he's got a shot with her. News flash, dude! She doesn't like the thought of dating anyone, let alone you. It's because you're not her type is all. Just get over her or don't, dude, because this joke will pass and everyone will forget and she still won't even think about being with you. I don't know why you do it, but you sometimes forget what you are. You're a nobody, Parker. You aren't ever going to be anyone's hero, and this attempt is honestly embarrassing." He smacked a hand against Peter's shoulder, making him jump slightly. "Later, pal." He walked off.

Peter slowly dropped his head down in defeat. He wanted nothing more than to grab Flash and toss him into a wall, show him that he definitely wasn't the nerdy loser everyone thought he was.

But in a way, he was. Because no amount of special abilities could help him have a chance with you and no superpowers could keep him from liking you.

Instead he glanced pitifully at Ned, tears in his eyes, and then walked off towards the doors. Ned stepped forward, his head shaking.

"Dude..." he murmured, but Peter was gone.

Leaving a stunned and surprised you watching from just around Ned's shoulder, unnoticed by Peter.

...

Peter ran off of school grounds, hopped over several high fences, and bounded towards the busiest part of town.

His head buzzed wildly, spidey senses alive and awake as they alerted him of all the things going wrong. On top of that, all the things wrong with him.

Skipping Delmar's, he ran to his alley and ducked behind the dumpster. Tears fell out of his eyes as he tore his t-shirt off, pausing every now and then to wipe the back of his hand across his runny nose. He yanked down his pants and kicked them off, getting annoyed when they got stuck around his ankles.

He grabbed his suit out of his backpack and slipped the bottoms on over his legs, stuffing his feet inside. Just as he shifted his hips and eased his lower half into the suit, he heard a surprised voice.

"Spider-Boy?"