Always Proud | Flash Thompson [TR]

You never felt more secure, more comfortable, more accepted, than when you were in Flash's arms. He was your rock and your inspiration, your best friend and your boyfriend. He always encouraged you to be the best you could be and understood when you couldn't.

Even when he was mean to everyone else, he was never mean to you. You knew that he was fast to be mean because of his own doubts and insecurities, so you made sure to be there for him whenever he needed to be reminded of just how perfect he was.

You were sitting in the library with your nose in a textbook. With the decathalon competition just weeks away, you were stressed and overwhelmed. It was the time of year where you studied nonstop.

You felt two familiar arms wrap around your shoulders from behind. Smiling to yourself, you leaned into the best that was bent over the back of your chair.

"Hey babe," he murmured softly, not wanting to annoy the strict librarian.

"Hey," you said, turning your head.

He pressed a swift kiss against your lips and smirked, removing his arms from your shoulders and pulling out the chair next to you. He plopped down and draped an arm over the back of your chair, pulling it across the carpet so it sat closer to him.

"Flash," you warned, flipping the page of your textbook. "Don't bother me. I'm studying."

"And what do you think I'm doing?" he asked, taking the book from your hands. He placed it on the tabletop and grabbed the notepad you were writing on. "How much have you studied so far?"

"Not much," you admitted. You massaged an ache that was starting to form in the middle of your forehead. "Not as much as I'd like to, anyway."

Flash pulled his eyebrows together. "Yeah? What's got you stumped?"

You gestured to the book and scoffed. "All of it, I mean... you know how I am with equations. I just can't do them."

"You can," he said, placing a hand above your knee. He squeezed there softly and smiled. "Babe, you're smart."

"Thanks," you mumbled, giving a half smile.

He sighed. "I really wish you'd start believing me," he admitted.

You looked at him but didn't say a word. You reached over and grabbed the notepad, flipping to your notes. You held out a hand. "Can you let me borrow one of your highlighters?"

"Mhm," he hummed, reaching into the backpack he'd left on the floor. "Do you want pink or purple today, babe?"

You tapped a finger against your lips. "Hm... green," you decided.

"A new color today," he noted, handing you the green highlighter.

"I just thought that maybe a change in color will help clear my mind."

He sat back straight and moved his arm to the back of your chair again while you uncapped the highlighter and marked every equation that stumped you. The amount of green grew intimidating fast, and you felt a new ache in your head.

Flash started to rub your back, letting you silently read the equations. Your lips mouthed the numbers and words together as you tried to stick them in your memory.

You lost yourself in the sea of equations and textbooks and highlighters. The neon green was hurting your eyes and the color of the room warped as you yawned again and again. Finally, Flash took the marker from you.

"What are you-"

"I think it's time for a break," he said, capping the highlighter and putting it on the table. "You're starting to look a little crazy."

"Flash, I don't have the time for a break," you hissed, reaching to grab it again.

Flash shook his head. "There's no use in studying so hard today anyway! We have practice tomorrow," he said. "Give your brain a break."

You crossed your arms over your chest and pouted. "My brain doesn't work hard enough as it is," you said.

Flash tilted his head to the side and shook it. "Babe. Stop," he whispered.

"What?" you asked, getting frustrated. "It's true!" Tears pricked at your eyes. "I don't know why I'm even in decathalon. I'm such an idiot, Flash. You guys memorized these weeks ago."

"So you're not good at equations," he said. "That's okay! There are things I'm not good at."

"No, you're amazing at everything," you muttered.

"As much as I love it when you compliment me, we both know that I am a little flawed," he said, smirking.

You glanced at him sadly and he moved the hand on the chair. He pushed hair out of your eyes with the back of his finger before tracing the line of your jaw with his knuckle.

"Babe, when I look at you, I see the smartest girl alive," he murmured. "I see someone who can bring me out of whatever pit I've put myself in and can assure me again and again that I am worth being loved. I think that's awesome. You're awesome."

You shrugged. "I guess I'm a little awesome," you mumbled. Flash grinned. "And I guess I'm the best girlfriend ever..."

He nodded. "You really are."

You looked at him. "Thanks, babe," you whispered.

Flash smiled. He leaned in and pressed his forehead against the dip of your neck, leaving a chaste kiss on the skin there. His nose brushed against your skin and you moved your arm to the hair at the back of his head.

"You mean so much to me, babe," he whispered. "I just wish you could see everything I see in you. I wish I could pull you out of every pit you fall into. You just deserve to know how great you are."

You leaned your head against his. "I'm working on it," you said.

"I'm proud of you," he said, lifting his head. He kissed your cheek. "I am always gonna be proud of you."

"I love you," you murmured.

"Love you more," he said. He kissed your cheek again. "Would you feel better if I went went to the cafeteria and bought you a coffee?" he asked. You nodded and he smiled. "Okay then, princess." He kissed you on the mouth and stood up.

"Thank you," you called out softly.

You watched him go, the feeling of his lips ghosts against your neck, cheek, and lips. You smiled.

Flash wasn't perfect and neither were you, but moments like those were perfect, and that was all that mattered.