Season 1, Part 5

It was early in the morning, we were all on our horses in front of the gate to the outside. To the wilderness that had once belonged to us.

I petted my golden sleek horse, which was stronger and faster than the other horses- besides the Captain's pretty raven black one. I turned around and gave the cadets a thumbs up, smiling. 

I had caught up with Mikasa and Armin for the past three weeks. Apparently for two years they had worked in the fields with Eren to attempt to raise crops, but failed. The second year all refugees old enough were sent to try and reclaim Wall Maria.  This included Armin's grandpa and his parents. Poor Old Man Arlert... It was actually a good thing I joined the military when I did, otherwise I would've been one of the refugees sent out, where I would've met my demise.

Then when they all turned 12, they followed Eren into the military. I would've asked Eren these things before, but for some strange reason I was almost never with him as much as the rest of the squad, almost as if I was being purposely being separated from him. However, since the incident during tea time out on the field, that seemed to have changed, and I was let around him more often. 

Eventually I figured that everyone was hiding something from me and keeping Eren and myself apart, because they thought it weird how I knew him so well- even though I clearly said we knew each other in our childhoods. They thought of it as a weakness, because I personally knew Eren, even though they all knew me well enough, it made it sense they would keep at least a bit of precaution between Eren and I due to my immaturity at times.

 I appreciated them looking out for me, but at the same time I was slightly pissed.

After it was announced neighboring Titans had been drawn away, the gate was slowly opened, creaking and rattling as it was lifted. "Scouts! Move out!" Commander Erwin shouted nobly, raising his sword. 

Everyone screamed battle cries, raising our swords. 

I looked behind at my squad- we were the only ones who didn't yell. Heichou was right in front of me, quiet. "Tch, screaming won't make a difference." I heard him mutter. 

I chuckled a bit, as that was typical of the Captain. Our horses all started galloping out of the gate, leaving a rumbling sensation and dust flying behind us.

"It's officially begun! The 57th Exterior Scouting Mission!" I heard the Commander scream. Only he, Levi, Hange, and I knew this, but we knew something we've never seen before was going to draw us out, and many were going to die.

As long as Eren was with us, that is, a new enemy will appear and come for him, most definitely.

I forgot to mention, but the day after Hange came three and a half weeks ago, Hange's test subjects that were captured during the battle of Trost were killed. She was agonized from it, and we couldn't find out who did it, even though all the cadets were questioned. This is a wild guess due to the little evidence, but whoever- or whatever it was, will probably be the being that comes out after us on this day.

~A Few Hours Later~
So far nothing has happened, just a few Titans spotted with things going smoothly. I think this is the longest we've gone without nothing bad seriously happening.

Just as I thought that, a soldier comes in with a report that the right wing scouts have been wiped out and that the formation was vulnerable, and just after that I look to my right to see a black flare. 

Well shit, an abnormal, this far in the formation. Hopefully the right wing does alright. The rest of my squad noticed the flare as well, becoming nervous.

"I'm sure they can handle it. Some of our best men are on the right side." I tried to reassure them. Everyone but Eren gets back on focus.

"Those goddamn Titans, if only I were there I could kill them all, every last one, and avenge my comrades." I thought these acts of revenge until Oluo interrupted my mind. "Uh, Valeri? You got that sadistic look on your face again-"