The Basement

Sasha was injured. Some debris from a house got lodged in her side. Armin was unconscious and shirtless. (Damn, I never knew how ripped he was).

We looked around the area for survivors. There were none. We were the only survivors, just the ten of us. Half the horses were dead. We only took our horses and left the others behind. We put Erwin's body in the bed of the nicest, most intact house we could find.

While I was gathering the horses, a green flare was shot indicating that Armin was up. I was the last to arrive, while Eren was in the middle of explaining what happened to Armin.

"Armin!" I hugged him, then leaned back. "I wanted to save Erwin, not you! I'm so sorry for that!" I apologized. "It's alright Valeri, I understand." Armin smiled weakly.

Armin looked traumatized, which was to be expected. "Anyway- are you telling me... The Scout Regiment... Is the ten of us here... And that's it?" He slowly asked.

"For the time being. The fighting ended four hours ago. We've been looking for survivors, but, none yet..." Jean answered.

"S-So we managed to seal the walls of Shiganshina, but Reiner, the Beast Titan, and one other escaped, Bertholdt was captured, then there was a dispute about using the injection on Commander Erwin or me... And I... t-turned into a Titan and ate Bertholdt..." He then started retching, about to puke, so Jean handed him water. Poor baby... It was a lot for him to take in.

"Aww, it's alright Armin, you little cinnamon roll.." I sat on my knees and hugged him, holding him close to my chest and stroking his hair. Levi gave me a weird look for babying him.

He sighed, and sat still in the hug until he was satisfied. "Th-Thanks Valeri..." He nodded, leaning back. "Captain... Why did you pick me? No matter how you look at it, wasn't Commander Erwin the right one to bring back? Why did you give me the injection!?" Asked Armin, confused.

"Tch!" He gave Eren a kick in the ass. "I told you to tell him everything." He scolded. "The thing is, it seems your two friends here didn't think that way, and that was the first time I've seen Valeri so unsure of a decision." Both Eren and Mikasa looked down, embarrassed in themselves. "They stood up to me, prepared to draw blood."

Armin looked at the two, surprised.

"We'll take whatever punishment comes." Eren quickly yet quietly spoke.

"You'll be disciplined for insubordination, but does the punishment allow you to do anything?" Hange asked. "No..." Eren answered.

"However, the final decision to choose you was mine. No... I chose this to be the place where Erwin dies." Levi told Armin.

"I don't understand... There's no way it's okay to let Erwin die. If the Commander is gone, how... How will we go on?" Armin replied horrifically.

"I agree. I thought it should've been used on Erwin, if we're being brutally honest. No... It's a shame we were put in that position. Anyway, Erwin entrusted Levi with the decision to use it, and Levi ended up choosing you. There's nothing more to say. Erwin's life and a Titan's powers rest on your shoulders. No matter what anyone says, that'd a part of who you are now, Armin." Hange told him with all seriousness.

He gulped, his eyes wide. "Does that mean... I have to be Erwin's replacement? No way... I can't!" He protested, his voice shaking.

Levi turned back around. "Don't get me wrong. You'll never be Erwin's replacement. But, I know you have a strength nobody else has but you. I won't regret my decision." He assured him. "However, don't make these guys regret it." He stated afterwards, hastily grabbing Eren and Mikasa's heads. "Not anyone else. And don't regret it yourself either. That is your mission." He concluded.