Season 3, Part 13

"I'm announcing our final operation! All troops, line up!" Erwin announced on a small stage, with Levi and I at both his sides. Most of the troops were on the ground cowering in fear, clutching their heads.

"We will be doing a calvary charge. Our goal: to rush the Beast Titan. Of course, we'll be the ideal targets." The recruits were becoming more and more traumatized, listening to his words.

"So we'll wait until he's ready to throw and fire our smoke signals together. That should reduce his accuracy somewhat. While we're acting as a decoy, Captain Levi and Lieutenant Valeri will kill the Beast Titan. That is our plan." Erwin explained to the cadets. I flashed back to a very recent memory, what Erwin told me and Levi before he announced the plan. I needed to remember what he told me, as it was important.

"Ehh? You want us to go after him with just ODM gear? He's in an empty field! There isn't a house or tree to latch onto!" I pointed out, thinking Erwin was crazy. "Wrong. There happens to be two lines of objects at just the right height. Sneak close using the Titans, you going on the right and Levi on the left, and assassinate the Beast Titan."

A girl in the front of the line bent over and puked, horrified at the idea of dying. "Standing and waiting just means we'll be showered by more boulders. Get ready on the double!" Erwin typically said they'd all die anyway, so better die heroically. "Are we all.. heading to our... Deaths?" Floch asked in the front.

"Yes." Erwin answered straightforwardly. "If we're gonna die anyway, you're saying it's better... If we die fighting?" The poor boy was about to cry, like everyone else. "Yes." Erwin answered again. "Wait, if we're gonna die anyway, no matter how we die, even if it's disobeying orders, it all means nothing, right?"

"You're precisely right." Erwin confirmed with a dead tone. "It's all meaningless. Whatever dreams or hopes you had, no matter how blessed a life you've lived, it's all the same if your shredded by rocks. Everyone will die someday. Does that mean life is meaningless? Was there any meaning in our being born? Would you say that of our fallen comrades? Their lives... Were they meaningless?" Anger and courage suddenly filled his face.

"No they weren't! It's us who gives meaning to our comrade's lives! The brave fallen! The anguished fallen! The ones who will remember them are us... The living! We die trusting the living who follow to find meaning in our lives! That is the sole method in which we can rebel against this cruel world! My soldiers, rage! My soldiers, scream! My soldiers, FIGHT!"

When everyone cleared up, getting on their horses, I pulled the ribbon out of my hair, tossing my hair over my shoulder. I looked at it. The remaining ribbon I had left. "Did you lose the other one?" Levi asked me, walking to my side and looking at the ribbon. "Yeah... It got burnt up when the Colossal transformed." I answered, nodding.

I turned to Levi and placed the ribbon in the pocket of his jacket. "You have a better chance of surviving than I do. I want you to take my mother's locket and my remaining ribbon. If I die, you'll have something left of me." Levi growled, grabbing my hands. "We're already gonna lose Erwin! I don't want to lose you too!" He protested.

"Either you or I could die. You wanted to sacrifice yourself before. Imagine how I'd feel if you did that. I'd have nothing left of you. If I live, return the things I treasure most." I took the locket off my neck and placed it around Levi's, sniffling a bit.

"It's about time we get to our positions-"

I turned to leave, but Levi grabbed my arm and waist, and twisted me back around, kissing me full on the lips. I melted into the kiss and placed one arm around his head, and the other on his back. I didn't care that everyone was watching.