Season 4, Part 9

A knock was heard on the door. "We're leaving."

Eren nodded. "Okay."

I instantly recognized it, relief turning to anger. I was about to shout Floch's name, when Eren placed a hand over my mouth. "No need to shout. This is a restaurant. Sit down, Vali."

I couldn't help but let a tear roll down my cheek. He hasn't called me that nickname in almost 5 years..

"That was Floch..." I growled, sitting next to Armin. 

Yeah. I wanted to talk to you guys in a quiet setting. We can settle Eldia's problems without any conflict." he explained.

"Eren! What's happening? Why did you decide to attack Marley on your own?? Have Zeke and Yelena gotten you on their side?" I asked him with a hurt voice, leaning forward in my chair. He leaned back, his chair standing on the back legs.

"I am free." he replied.

"Eh?" all of us were shocked.

"Whatever I do. Whatever I choose. I do it out of my own free will."

We all sat in silence, from plain disbelief and surprise. 

Eren... did this on his own.. huh?

"You met with Yelena in secret the night of the rail opening, right? Has this all been your free will since then?" Armin slowly asked him.

"That's right." he simply replied.

"No. You're being controlled." stubbornly claimed Mikasa.

He gave Mikasa a look of annoyance.

"You're not the kind of person who'd involve innocent civilians and children, even if they live in an enemy state. You've cared and thought about us more than anyone.. Haven't you? You saved me from being kidnapped... and wrapped this scarf around me, out of your own kindness, right?" she stood up, grasping the scarf Eren gave her with one hand.

"I said keep your hands on the table." Was all he replied, giving Mikasa a look full of hate and annoyance- as if he despised her with his every being. What was this...?

She gasped, hesitating before sitting back down. "I hid myself in Liberio and spoke with Zeke. Brother to brother... I learned a lot then. Zeke knows more than Marley does." he continued.

"Armin." he looked straight at the boy with a blank stare.

"You're still going by and seeing Annie, aren't you? Is that of your own free will? Or is it Bertholdt's?" he glared at him.

Armin was flabbergasted. "...! Wh-What do you..." he stuttered, not sure what to say. "If memories play a major role in forming who a person is, that means part of you has become Bertholdt. A part of an enemy soldier that feels love for another enemy soldier is influencing a significant part of your judgement. You, and advisor to Eldia, holder of the nine Titans." Eren revealed.

"You weren't soft like this before. You never backed to the enemy. Your judgements was always able to lead us to the answer. But every time you open your mouth now, it's "let's talk"... you're absolutely useless. Armin. Bertholdt's gotten to your brain. You're the one being controlled by the enemy."

By the walls, we're your best friends Eren! Why... did you get so cold..?

I just sat there, a shocked and dazed from Eren's words, while the anger from my Fleur genes were creeping out slowly.

"Eren.. What're you trying to do?" Mikasa slowly inquired from fear and confusion.

"Eren.. That's ENOUGH!" I stood up from the table, slamming my hands down that the table shook, my hair in front of my face as I glared at Eren with a terrifying look.