Bonus Chapter: Midnight/A Day Off

"Captain? You want to meet me in the stables?" I curiously asked, once reaching the stables and finding Captain Levi. "Yes Valeri, we were able to find the best of the best horses. Here, pick one of them." I gasped, clapping my hands.

"What! No way! Though, I'm sure none of them will be able to truly replace Sunflower..." I looked at my locket, where I had a bit of her hair.

"Hurry and pick one." Levi said impatiently, crossing his arms. I groaned. "Fine, fine..." I began to look at the selection of horses.

All of them were a different shade of brown, had spots, etc, but none of them stood out to me. 

Then, I found one. At the very end of the stalls, I saw a beautiful black horse whose coat was so clean and shiny it seemed to shine blue.

The horse was tall and had a flowing wavy mane.

When I reached my hand out to it the horse licked my hand in a friendly manner, and whinnied. 

"This horse, she seems perfect." I pointed out to Levi. "Oh, I actually know that horse. I had to choose between her and her brother five years ago when my first horse died, which is my current horse. I think this girl has had 5 different owners because they all died in battle. She hasn't been in action lately."

I smiled. "Well then, I choose her. She seems perfect, and it'd be cool for both of us to have matching horses that are siblings. Does she have a name?" I asked.

"No, none of her owners never named her anything or didn't get to name hrt. "Hm... Well I'll give her something simple, Midnight. Midnight sounds fitting to her." I said calmly yet happily, petting Midnight's snout.

"Whatever you want." Levi shrugged. "I'm sure we'll get to know each other well! I won't let you die like Sunflower did, Midnight. You'll live till old age!" I talked to my new horse.

"Oi brat, stop talking to the horse and let's go." Levi commanded me.

I sighed. "Alright, coming Captain!"

~The Day Before Levi, Valeri, and the new Levi Squad Leave~

"Valeri, want to go to Mitras District with me?" Levi asked me in the morning, after 6 long days of work.

Sunday I could finally rest. I've barely been able to relax.

"We've both been working a lot. We've prepared everything for tomorrow as well. Erwin ordered the both of us to take a day off anyway. So, let's go today." Levi repeated.

"Oh!" I felt my face turn bright red. "S-Sure, we can go Captain." I agreed shyly. I never thought I'd be doing something like this with Captain.

Soon after, after changing into our common wear, Captain and I headed off to Mitras on our horses. The whole town was lively and buzzing when we arrived.

"Wow! Look at everything Captain! So amazing!" I looked at everything in awe. "Mhm." Levi responded uninterested, with a bored expression on his face, hands in his pockets.

"Captain~ Let's go to the market!" I giggled. Levi had never seen her this bubbly and happy in his life, it was so weird seeing it, because she was rarely ever this happy on duty, in battle she was either fighting, struck with grief or rage, etc.

But, he liked seeing her like this. He didn't want her to be sad, but for some reason only recently he started caring about her in this way. Why? "Sure, let's go." he shrugged.

"I've been saving up money for a long time, let's bring back presents and treats for everyone!" I told Levi, as they walked along the chattering long marketplace.