Season 4, Part 8

We discussed the topic on the way out.

"No way... work with Eren? After he killed the Commander-in-chief?" asked Jean in disbelief.

"We don't know for sure if Eren did it yet." Mikasa pointed out.

"Yeah... he was the Commander in chief, but he was always sort of weird anyway... Sadistic and sick." I shrugged, tossing my long hair over my shoulder.

"You're one to talk." Jean muttered. "You know we're already suspected of being Yeagerists, right?" he raised an eyebrow.

"So tell us, Mikasa. What side are you on?" Connie asked Mikasa, furrowing his brows from suspicion.

I punched Connie hard in the shoulder. "Are you kidding me!?!? Yeah she's been attached to Eren since they were kids but that doesn't mean she's on their side! We've been comrades with her for almost 8 years- for me 11 years, don't doubt her, you dunce!" I scolded him.

"Ow.. It was just a question.." Connie winced, rubbing his shoulder.

"Stop it." Hange shushed us. "It's like Commander Pixis said. Infighting will only lead to our downfall." they advised wisely.

"In that case... so you don't see any problems with entrusting Zeke and Eren with everything, Hange?" Jean asked them, not sounding like he was agreeing. "No... it's not good." they replied quietly, glowering.

"No matter how well Zeke and Yelena's plan went, they knew that they'd never be free of suspicion. So they concocted an insurance policy given that fact, and now it's paying out. This probably goes beyond winning Floch over. If we want to be absolutely sure, we should assume their insurance doesn't end there." Hange paused for a moment.

"We need to figure out Zeke's intentions, before they make any bigger fools out of us. Of course, if this all ends up being wild speculation, then great..." they concluded, before mounting their horse.

"Do you have any leads?" Armin asked, getting onto his own horse. "The Marleyan POWS she protected are in suspicious lines of work. For example, restaurants..." Hange grinned, hinting where we were going next.

Niccolo's gourmet restaurant.

Soon afterwards we arrived at Niccolo's place. When Niccolo came out to greet us, he seemed rather rigid once he saw us.

"You... Why are you here right now? I'm busy with some very important guests.." he muttered nervously.

"Yeah, it's fine, you can go back to work. We just want to talk with you later." Hange casually assured him. "Talk to me? About what?" he asked with sudden suspicion.

"You know, you've gotta have stuff on your mind, right?" Hange chuckled darkly.

"About the volunteers getting detained. We'd like to ask you some questions." Onyankopon told him the straight truth.

"Oh.... okay..." he muttered. He led us to an empty room stocked with wine on the walls. "Could you wait here for now?" he requested.

"Huh, never knew about this room." Hange remarked, sitting down.

Jean looked at the wine and discovered it to be the wine we heard so much about. He figured he'd drink a sip, when Niccolo snatched it out of his hands and told him "Eldians" don't get to touch it. Jean reminded him that he was just a POW here. Only a few minutes later, we heard a crash and shouting from the next room, and Armin was the first to run out and check it out.

"What is it!?" I asked, pushing my heavy hair yet again over my shoulder. (I really should've put it into a ponytail or braid earlier. Maybe I'll cut it short again).