Season 1, Part 6

After a few minutes, I took a few deep breaths and composed myself

After a few minutes, I took a few deep breaths and composed myself. The screaming in my head finally stopped...

I then turned around, back to normal as if nothing had happened.

"Alright guys, the next time we see a flare the color of it will determine what we're gonna do. If we see more black flares close to us, that means the Female Titan is free. If there's red flares from around the edges of the forest, that means the Titans that were piled up started rushing into the forest. If we see the blue or yellow flares, we retreat. Got that?"

"Yes, ma'am." The four of them minus Eren chanted. "Eren?" I turned to look at him. He looked away nervously.

I raised my hand toward him, but he stepped back a bit. "Eren?" I asked, confused.

"Valeri..." He turned back to me, rubbing his arm with his head hanging low. "This isn't like you! That anger and rage back there... This isn't the you I know! You were like an entirely new person, what happened?"

Oluo laughed. "Ha! That's normal for her when she's killing Titans, she-" Petra slapped a hand over his mouth. "Now's not the time." She hissed.

I walked over to Eren, placing my hand on his shoulder.

"You want to know what happened? That day, five years ago when Wall Maria collapsed. I thought I lost everything I loved. That's why I'm like this."

"Anyway, since that happened, I should tell you all something. Did the commander hint to any of you about who's the 'real enemy?'" I sighed, crossing my arms.

"Yes, he asked me a strange question like that." Petra replied.

"Same here." Eren added.

"Well, only Levi and I knew about this, but it was all to catch a spy. I was only included because I figured out what Commander Erwin was up to weeks before the expedition. Anyway, it's most likely the Armored and Colossal Titans are spies that snuck in 5 years ago on the Shiganshina attack, and this whole thing was to draw out the enemy. We're trying to capture the Female Titan because whoever it is inside is a part of those spies. I just thought it would be the Armored at least- I didn't think there was a third spy." I told them all the truth.

"So... You figured out all on your own? Why didn't you tell us before?" Eren asked.

"Because the Commander and Captain told me not to. Better you all didn't know until now because things wouldn't have turned out as well with people knowing. I don't completely understand it myself but I'm not questioning the Commander's orders. You all got that?" I closed my eyes, finishing the explanation and stretching.

"Yeah, that makes a whole lot more sense and explains some things. This is what the commander meant by there being more than one enemy- or who the true enemy was anyway." Eld nodded.

There was a silent moment, where only the chirping of birds could be heard. I turned back around, facing my squad. Only the sound of a flare broke the silence.