Season 4, Part 14

Jean went silent. Annie and Reiner's eyes widened.

I barely knew Marco. When I went to survey the 104th cadets, I only got to see a few small groups. One of the members was Marco. He wanted to become an MP and serve the king. Bunch of dog shit if you ask me, but he seemed like such a sweet boy. Black haired and freckles, if I remember.

He died in the battle of Trost, as I saw his name as I read through the death toll list.

"Yes. You said Annie was involved in his death, didn't you? Have you asked her about it yet? About the truth behind his death?" Yelena asked lowly.

Jean stared at her, until the guilt forced her to speak.

"I took Marco's vertical maneuvering equipment. That's why a Titan ate him."

"Annie was only following my orders." Reiner interrupted in an attempt to defend her.

"Marco... Overhead a conversation Bertholdt and I were having about something he couldn't know. We were afraid of being found out... And we thought the best way to shut him up would be to have a Titan kill him. I... Slammed Marco into a roof while in the air. I held him down to keep him from moving.. while I made Annie take off his vertical maneuvering equipment. Marco was stuck there, until a Titan came from behind and ate him."

...

"Marco... Is there anything he said to you at the very end?" Jean asked quietly.

..."He said 'We haven't even tried to talk this out yet..'" Reiner replied.

Jean's eyes suddenly widened in realization. "That's it... That's it!! We haven't been trying to talk this out. That's why... we've been fighting to the death with each other like this, isn't it? If... we'd just talk to each other at the start, we wouldn't be killing each other like this."

"It's still not too late." Hange pointed out. "We've all fought tooth and nail to be here. But at the very least... we're talking now, not fighting. Who could've imagined it? That we'd all be eating around a fire like this."

Another moment of silence.

"I watched as the Titan ate Marco." Reiner continued. "And... I wondered why Marco was being eaten by a Titan. I flew into a rage after that and killed the Titan. Cursing it for what it did... to Marco."

"Yeah Reiner, you have a split personality. I read about it a few years back and realized you had it from the way you acted, but never said anything about it." I nodded, sipping my stew.

"You knew?" he asked, surprised.

"That's enough. You're saying the guilt messed with your brain, right?" Jean told him.

"Don't forgive me.. I am really am... a worthless man.." Reiner kept speaking.

"I said.. that's enough.." Jean spoke quietly, anger in his voice.

"I'm sorry-"

Jean suddenly stood up and ran to Reiner, punching him off his seat. He kept punching and punching him, and wouldn't stop.

Connie, Armin, and I stood up and quickly pulled him back, and he tried to give Reiner one last kick, before Gabi jumped in front of him, grabbing Reiner, kicking her instead.

"Gabi!! Are you okay?" Falco asked worriedly, helping her up.

"I'm sorry... Our wish was to slaughter all of you on Paradis. For the world to accept us and forgive us. That's why it was always our hope... for this island... for the devils to go away..." she apologized for Reiner.

"And now... Mom, Dad, everyone in Liberio is going to be taken away because of it... I'm sorry!" she started sobbing. "I know... just how shameless it is of me to ask, but... we need all of you to help us! Please, won't you lend us your strength!?"