Season 2, Part 5

A/N: These are just interesting flashbacks on Valeri's life to answer some holes in her character, like her parents for example. If you're uninterested you can just skip this part, it isn't really relevant to the plot of the main story. I mean the beginning and the end are a bit important but that's it.
_____
Soon after Christa- I mean Historia revealed her true name, we all went back to the wall, which didn't take very long.

Along the way I passed out from blood loss, considering I lost a good 7th of my blood supply. 

Before we left I had gone back to the stables, where Sunflower's corpse was. I cut off a few hairs of her golden mane, and placed it in my locket, the valuable my mother owned I treasured so dearly.

I wanted to see Captain Levi, so badly. I just had such an urge to see him and hug him, I missed him so much and felt so scared without him there. I was able to manage on my own, but just barely. I hadn't been that scared since Wall Maria had fallen.

_____
"Did you hear? About the new recruit that is insanely good? Fleur, her name was. A real cutie too, but she is a monster on the battlefield."

"Everyone is saying she's like the second Captain Levi. She even fights like him, she's the only other soldier to fight with his signature move, and efficiently as well!"

"Look, here she comes!"

I heard scattered whispers and rumors about me throughout the mess hall as I walked along the main aisle.

I tossed my thick yet wispy short hair behind my shoulder, staring everyone down, trying to look intimidating. I grabbed my share of food, and sat down by myself at a table in the corner, eating silently yet in a clean and distingue manner.

~At the higher-ups table~
"Oi, did you look up the records of that recruit Hange? The one everyone's talking about?" Levi asked to the messy brown haired person with glasses across him. They nodded. 

"Sure did, and it's just as I suspected. Valeri Fleur, she's the daughter of the Daring Duo, the top soldiers before you Levi. Her grandmother died when she was 9, who was caring for her at the time. They died shortly after you turned up."

Erwin nodded. "Ah yes, I remember them. Fantastic soldiers, inseparable. It's such a shame they had to die such a gruesome way, for the sake of humanity. I remember Rose accidentally getting pregnant. She and Derrick had to either choose their child or humanity. They chose humanity, but greatly regretted it, having to leave their child behind. They planned to leave the Scout Regiment and go retire in Shiganshina to take care of their child 8 years ago, after an expedition. Unfortunately they died on the last expedition they planned to ever do before retiring to care for their child, who should've been 9 at the time. Such a pity, poor girl never got to experience parents' love." Erwin recalled.

Levi crossed his arms, looking at his food. This girl's story really reminded him a lot of his own; losing her parents at a young age, having to fend for herself. He never knew his father too.

Erwin looked over at the girl quickly, chuckling. "She sure looks exactly like her mom, except for her hair color and the short hair, but that scowl on her face makes her look intimidating but also cute, she's probably like her dad. Reminds me of someone else I know, who always scowls." 

Erwin smirked, turning to Levi who was next to him. "Shut up, shit eyebrows." Levi growled, nudging his arm.

"She's also really cute and small, typically not what anyone would imagine to be such an advanced soldier, but from what the reports say she's a terrifying monster on the battlefield, like her parents." Erwin added.