Chapter 9

Gary had fallen asleep on his messy bed while holding onto his new mug. His snores were cut short when he heard heavy footsteps inside his own home. A sudden rush of anxiety as his instincts told him he was in danger.
He quickly got up to look around, expecting to be just his imagination and anxiety from this afternoon but to his demise, a shadow stood in his room.

They wore a helmet with the visor bright red. It reminded him of Black Manta from Aquaman.
Their body seemed fit but not huge and the boots looked heavy.

Gary stared at the figure hoping this was one of those things where he is being paranoid or maybe this was sleep paralysis except he could move.

Gary gulped and hesitated but finally asked the question that was bugging him
"Who...Who are you?"

As soon as those words left his mouth the figure dashed for him, a blade coming out of their wrist. Gary let out a panicked scream as he barely managed to dodge it. He scrammed off the bed still holding onto the mug.
When the figure dashed again, Gary turned to run only to feel something a painful slice on his back

"Ugh-" he fell down being face to face with the heavy boots of this stranger.
Gary tried to look up but the pain was too immense for him.
Great this is just great. Couldn't life get any better?

And just like that, the "Black Manta wannabe" pulled out their other wrist and started setting his apartment on fire.

"What the hell man?!" Gary shrieked before coughing as the smoke got thicker and the fire stronger.
The stranger turned to look at them for a while, nodding to themselves before leaving.

Hot...it was too hot...
Wheezing for fesh air, Gary's vision became blurry.

-----------------------------

"Did you see that?! I was all like 'pew pew'!! And then CLANK! AND WHOOOSHHH" Little Cato spoke enthusiastically to his father as he recalled using a heavy gun for the very first time.
Avocato chuckled at the boy's vocabulary and way to describe things. Reaching his hand to his boys head without thinking, Avocato smiled softly. Something rare to see.

Little Cato looked up at him in suprised before shyly looking away with a small smile. The boy had spent so long away from his father that this kind of contact just made him all soft and warm.

Suddenly Little Cato's little sunshine was gone as his eyes turned to a familiar place. His expression changed and his ears drooped.
Avocato lift an eyebrow, turning to see what the boy was looking at, up ahead an apartment was on fire.
Avocato noticed that this was where Little Cato's human friend, Gary, worked and lived.

"Gary!" all of the sudden Little Cato started running towards the scene, calling for his friend.
Avocato rushed after him, pulling him close just before he did anything too rash

"Let me go!" He tried to push his dad away "Gary!" His voice cracked as tears finally made their way to his eyes.
Avocato looked around, noticing that people just went on about their day as if nothing was happening. If it didn't have to do with them it wasn't their buissness.
Getting on one knee, Avocato grabbed the boy's shoulders

"Stay right here" he demanded with a worried tone before standing up again and running in.

"Dad!" Little Cato called after him but Avocato did not stop.
This Gary was important to his boy and if it was important to him it was important to Avocato as well.

Kicking down the door to the human's apartment with a loud BANG, Avocato covered his nose with the sleeve of his arm, searching the room.

He heard coughing and stepped closer, squinting his eyes to try see through the flames.
There, besides the bed, was Gary layed down holding on to something.
Avocato hissed as he got too close to the flames and rushed to the human's side, picking then up now noticing that what Gary held onto was the mug they gave him.
Avocato took the mug and threw Gary over his shoulder, rushing out the door.

As he ran down the stairs, a loud noise was heard above them. Avocato turned up to see the apartment was coming apart (see what I did there heh- APARTment?? No? Ok). Cursing under his breath as he noticed they would be crushed before burned to death, Avocato picked up the speed.

Once he was finally outside, he was greeted with a tearing up Little Cato who had anxiously waited for him. Avocato took a deep breath and coughed as Little Cato wiped the tears and rushed to hug him. He let go of Avocato with a gasp

"Is he hurt?" Little Cato looked at the floor, a small puddle of blood forming.
Avocato gave the boy the mug to bring the human down and hold him in his arms, now noticing a slash across his back

"Badly" Avocato replied, turning to his boy "Let's go home"

With a nod, both of the Ventraxians rushed home

"We could put him in the medical pod!" Little Cato suggested out of breath, placing the mug on a nearby table.

"No- those are for emergencies only" Avocato replied coldly as he walked upstairs

"This is an emergency!!" Little Cato fought back

"I mean an emergency involving you" Avocato turned to his son "we have limited supplies so I don't want to use them on a stranger" he continued walking, placing the human on his bed.

"He's not a stranger" Little Cato mumbled

"Little Cato..." Avocato sighed "Trust me, I can take care of him. He'll be better in no time" Avocato tried to comfort his son with a smile, hearing a sniffle escape the boy with a sad "ok"

Avocato turned back to the human and started to work on him. First, removing his shirt and proceeding to clean his wound.
Little Cato, as anxious as he was, understood that his father needed to focus and so left the room.

Avocato noticed that despite his first impression, the human was quite fit and seemed to take care of himself. He examined his back, the wound luckily wasn't that deep. 
The smell of blood mixed with the human's strange scent as Avocato tried to focus. His scent was oddly sweet to Avocato, something that came as a surprise. With the state of that apartment, he expected the human not to have any sense of hygiene.

"Okay" Avocato whispered to himself as he turned the human gently to lay on his back, careful not to hurt him. He had wrapped bandages around the man's torso after closing his wound as best as he could.
Brushing his fur back, Avocato let out a sigh and picked up the human's blood stained shirt, he would change the bed's covers once he woke up.

"Little Cato?" Avocato called as he removed his uniform coat to put it to wash with the human's clothes. He checked the boy's room to see him sat down in a corner holding the mug he and his father chose for Gary.

"Little Cato?" Avocato called again, softly this time.
Little Cato looked up and set the mug down as he got up, expecting the worst

"Don't worry, he's alright" avocato reassured him with a smile.
The boy rushed to his father's arms and hugged his waist, as he silently cried, thankful that his first and only friend was ok.