Chapter 2

"They are going to lay off big time," Pratiksha said as she chewed on her sandwich.

"Are you serious?" Kanak asked.

Pratiksha looked at her childhood friend and now colleague. She didn't know what era Kanak belonged to? She was just too good to be true. Always looking at the positive side of things, she never spoke ill of anyone, was always helpful to others, she always did things for them going out of her way. Sometimes Pratiksha felt sad for her because in this day and age there was just no appreciation left for people like her. There were so many instances where Kanak had already been taken for a ride, taken advantage of but still she kept her good faith in people. Her own sister Palak was one of those. Reckless and careless always looking for ways to make some extra money, though there was nothing wrong with that but with shortcuts? She looked at Kanak and realized she was probably the only one in the hotel staff who didn't know it could happen to anyone and at any time.

"Yes, my dear," Pratiksha said, "the whole staff has been talking about it for the past two days. The hotel isn't doing well and so the owner has decided for a change in management and lay off some of the staff, only who it is going to be is not confirmed. Some of us have already started looking for a place elsewhere," she said trying to make Kanak realize the severity of the situation, "you should too," she said.

"But we are in the housekeeping department," Kanak said upset.

"So where is it written we cannot be laid off," Pratiksha argued, "this world is not as simple as it looks Kanak, you have to stay one step ahead of others to keep your place here," she told her.

"I know," Kanak said trying to placate her friend, "I will update my resume and send it across for positions, okay, relax," she said.

"By the way your shift got over half an hour ago what are you still doing here?" Pratiksha asked.

"Talking to you," Kanak said lightly.

"Yes and then someone will find an extra work for you," Pratiksha said as she took another bite of her sandwich, "get out of here I am sure if someone asks you to fill in you will never say no," she said as she chewed.

"Okay," Kanak said with a smile, "bye, I will see you tomorrow we are on the same shift," she said and picking up her bag walked out.

Pratiksha shook her head at her friend's retreating figure. She was a great girl and kind too that is where her weakness lay. She was so simple in her beliefs that she got hurt at every opportunity. She had always hoped that Kanak would find someone who would be able to take care of her. Who would keep her safe and teach her a thing or two about standing up for herself. Since she was as docile as a lamb someone with a lion like personality would suit her the best. Pratiksha finished her sandwich just as she saw a police van park itself outside and curious to know what they wanted she went out of the cafeteria of their five star hotel. And as she watched in horror they enquired about someone and the receptionist pointed towards the person. The person was none other than Kanak. What the hell? What had she gotten herself into now? Before she could react or even shout to warn Kanak the officer went up to her and then asked her to accompany them to the station. Why? She wanted to follow and see if she could help but it seemed with her shift still on and the looming axe of being laid off over her head she couldn't and she watched helplessly as Kanak sat in the police van and they left.

Pratiksha just turned and saw the manager who had seen everything. Oh no, Kanak had said she will see her tomorrow as they shared the same shift it just might be that she will not see Kanak after all. With the management looking for any excuse to hack the employees Kanak seemed to have given them a perfect one. What the hell had she done? Or was she paying for someone else's actions?

***********************

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!