Chapter 54

Where the hell was she? Why wasn't she picking up her phone? He had been calling her for over an hour now. He honked at the car in front of him to let him pass. Finally, the car moved making enough space for him to overtake it. Aarav raked a hand through his hair in frustration. The mood Kanak had been in when she had left his office. He hoped she hadn't done anything stupid. What if she had? He had no option but to go to her place and see if she was there and if she was alright. If she wasn't he didn't know what to do next? At least not now. And if she was. He would wring her little neck for scaring him like this. Rest assured she wouldn't know what hit her. Damn the girl. He had called Arora right after she had left and told him exactly what he wanted him to find out and how to go about it. He had told him he didn't want any mistakes this time. Once Aarav had the necessary information he was looking for, Asthana was out and he would make sure he wouldn't get another job anytime soon not in this city at least, not by a long shot. He had sat in his office after that calling himself ten kinds of colorful names at letting her go by herself in the state she was in.

Damn him for making her cry. He should have stopped her. He should have comforted her. That was the least he could have done. And this was when he had admitted he liked her way more than he actually should. Is this how he was supposed to treat the girl who he felt more than liking for? His brain was good at just one thing...business. Love or any other softer emotion was not made for him. He honked again at the car ahead. He knew he was making a mountain of a molehill. And he was speeding too. If he got a ticket right now it would be tomorrow's headline. And his mother would cheerfully kill him over it. He slowed down. Kanak was fine. He shouldn't think otherwise. He was almost there. He took the turn into the street where her building was located. He parked his car outside on the side and hopped out. It wasn't raining anymore just drizzling now. Locking his car he walked furiously towards the tiny elevator. He jammed the number on the keypad to take him to the floor her flat was located on. Once he reached her flat he took in a couple of deep breaths to calm his racing pulse. Then rang the bell and waited. He put one hand in his trouser pocket as tension mounted again when she didn't open immediately. He rang the bell again. Where was she? He looked at his wrist watch. It was eleven thirty in the night. It wasn't late by his standards but by her it was very late. She couldn't be out at this hour. He decided to ring the bell one last time. As he raised his hand towards the ringer he heard the lock shift and the door open. He was ready to scream his head off when he noticed the tear stains on her cheeks, swollen red eyes and disarrayed hair. She had changed into an oversized sweatshirt and white flannel pajamas. She looked horrible as she stared at him with wide eyed shock. He swallowed the lump in his throat as he felt the tightness in his chest increase. He was responsible for the way she looked. And his anger suddenly directed itself towards himself.

"What are you doing here?" Kanak whispered hoarsely.

That seemed to make the patience he had been trying to keep a tight hold on slip out of his hands. He pushed past her inside the flat, grabbed her arm and pulled her behind him before he closed the door and turned her around to face him.

"Why haven't you been picking your phone?" he barked.

Kanak looked confused. Her phone? What was he talking about? She had just woken up from a deep exhaustive sleep at the insistent ringing of her door bell. She had hoped the person would go away but that hadn't happened. So she had woken up and gone to open the door to shoo away whoever it was only to find Aarav standing there. She had been so surprised wondering if she had lost it and was seeing him everywhere. He had been in her dreams a while ago and now he was standing outside her door. Water dripped from his hair onto his charcoal grey jacket. His tie was loose and the top button of his shirt was open. She had never seen him so disorderly. Always prim and proper. Always...perfect. And now he stood inside her house asking her why she wasn't picking up her phone.