Chapter 34

Aarav returned and was weary of meeting anybody. It was nine thirty by the time he reached and he was tired. Dead tired. He had an important meeting the next morning at ten and he better be in good shape for it. He told Kumar he would take his dinner in his room. As he walked in he went straight to the washroom and took a cold shower. It was so humid even though the air conditioner hummed cool air he was still hot. Why was he so affected by Kanak's gentleness? It wasn't as if she was the first person who had been appreciative towards him or had tried to understand his motivations of why he did things his way. Nor was she the only one who had really sweet to him. And yet. And yet he had granted her the request. Why was that? Had it been anybody else he wouldn't have bothered? And this was what was worrying him. Palak had been least bothered. In fact, she had almost spelt it out with her own mouth for all to hear, thankfully, Shilpa aunty hadn't been in the mood. Dhruv hadn't had guts to face his mother anyway. Of course, they will have to tell, it was something that couldn't be hidden for long. But at least for first impressions things were okay for the couple. He hoped so. Coming back to his original question what was it about Kanak that made her special. She was a simple girl with a huge heart full of generosity. Selfless to a fault. It could be a good trait but in today's world it was a weakness. And then the way she was so protective of Palak. He actually smiled as he raised his face towards the shower head and water gently fell down his face in rivulets. And was she mature. She had a knack for knowing how and what could affect others' perspective or even relationships. Her questions and reasoning's had all been valid. She may not be intelligent but she was definitely warm. A very nice human being. Loyal too. Did she ever think about herself he wondered. He shook his head. Then switched off the shower and walked into his wardrobe and took out his black t shirt with black sweatpants, wore his slippers and went into his room. Maybe he was thinking too much or maybe it was his guilt. He had been responsible for her losing her job and she hadn't even complained about it. He was sitting on his recliner checking his emails on his laptop when he heard a knock on his door. Thinking it was Kumar he asked the person to come in. He looked up at the soft footfalls and was surprised to see choti ma walk in with the tray of food. He closed his laptop and stood up.

"I am sorry, choti ma," he said immediately taking the tray from her hand, "I didn't know it was you or I would have opened the door myself," he said feeling contrite.

"No worries," Chitra said and smiled, "Kumar told me you wanted to eat in your room, alone," she said as she sat at the edge of his bed, "and I thought since you have faced a lot of things alone today, you shouldn't suffer through a meal without company. After all you are my favorite boy," she said with a smile.

"Thanks, choti ma," Aarav said as he released a deep breath, "I wasn't interested in meeting anyone right now. Have you eaten?" he asked.

"Yes," Chitra said on a sigh.

"You are still angry with me?" he asked again.

"I am a little upset Aarav," Chitra responded, "the two things are not the same, though Shilpa is still mad at you," she told him.

Aarav didn't say anything. Of course, Shilpa aunty was mad at him. And she will continue to be so for a while. Instead he placed the tray on the table and then quietly scooped the food onto a plate. He pulled a chair by Chitra's side and sat down to eat.

"How is mom doing?" Aarav asked quietly as he ate.

"She is doing fine," Chitra said, "apparently there had been a long discussion while you were away," she informed him, "with Virendra bhaisaab. And it seems there is no option but to go ahead with the plans that you have made," she said quietly, "tell me something Aarav," she said and paused and Aarav looked at her, "did bhaisaab had an idea of what was taking place?" she asked thoughtfully.