Chapter 6

Kanak paced the little room of her living space. It was raining again and she couldn't go out. She had already called all of Palak's friends and nobody knew where she was. Unless they were lying or Palak had made some new ones Kanak had no idea about. The situation seemed to be urgent and Kanak didn't know what she could do to find where Palak was. She for sure knew that Aarav Singhania hadn't lied about making sure their lives would be miserable. Though Kanak was still not sure if Palak had done something as wrong as stealing things. The man sure was authoritative if anything. And he was downright rude and mean. And so handsome. That made Kanak pause in her stride. Well, he did have a compelling personality a tiny voice told her. She started pacing again. Oh, she was going nuts. Just then her phone rang. Hoping it was Palak she quickly picked it up.

"Hello," she said urgently.

"Hey," Pratiksha said on the other end, "are you alright. I had meant to call earlier but with the shift and all, anyway, why was the police here to pick you up," she asked concerned.

"There was a misunderstanding," Kanak replied tiredly as she sat down on the sofa and massaged the space between her brows, "they thought I was Palak," she said.

"Palak?" Pratiksha screeched. "Why were they looking for her? And what has she done?" she asked worried for her friend.

"I don't know," Kanak replied, "apparently she has stolen something and the police were looking for her but they mistook me for her and took me to the station," she told Pratiksha, "I can't tell you how humiliating it was. Anyway I am trying to reach Palak and can't get hold of her. I have no idea where she is and it is important I find her before someone else does and clear this matter as fast as I can," she said urgently.

"Hold your horses girl," Pratiksha said, "what has she stolen? And who has complained against her?" she asked.

"The Sin..." Kanak started then paused.

Should she tell Pratiksha? She wasn't sure. This was the first time she felt hesitant in confiding in her childhood friend. And she didn't like it one bit. But she wasn't sure if this wouldn't create more trouble for Palak and herself. The Singhania's were big people, highly influential they could easily escape any problem that might come their way, what would she and Palak do. Maybe for some time if she kept things to herself it would be better.

"How does it matter?" she said changing her tone, "For now key is to find Palak and none of her friends know where she is," Kanak said hoping Pratiksha wouldn't pressure her into telling her who had complained.

"What's new in that," Pratiksha said going with the flow, "she is in the habit of vanishing for a little while leaving you worried or to clean up her messes. This seems to be one such thing in the long list," she said unhappily, "and I won't be surprised if she has done something that she shouldn't have," she said firmly.

"Why are you always so hard on her?" Kanak protested.

"Are you kidding me," Pratiksha exclaimed, "you still don't get it do you. What will it take for you to see what your sister is really like? She is always finding unscrupulous ways to get more money. Who knows this is one of her great ideas and knowing she would be caught she left, for you to face the brunt. I wouldn't put it past her," she said.

"Okay, enough of Palak bashing," Kanak said as she felt her head ache now, "I think we should concentrate on finding her first," she said, "then we will know the truth," she said.

"Fine, how do you propose to do that? You did say you called up all of her friends," Pratiksha asked.

"Yeah, I know. I guess we will have to play the waiting game," she said tiredly.

"What about Indore? Do you think she went back?" Pratiksha asked thoughtfully.

"I don't think so or else I would have gotten a call by now to explain why she was suddenly back home at Indore," Kanak replied.

Pratiksha shook her head on the other side of the phone. She was positive Kanak was having a headache thinking about her sister and what she had gotten into. This is when she didn't know the Manager had seen her in the police van. When was Kanak going to learn that being goody two shoes was not always good? And why couldn't she see what her sister was really like? This always annoyed her. For now she decided not to worry Kanak with other stuff.

"Alright, let me know if you need something and don't forget to eat your food okay," Pratiksha said and after Kanak promised and Pratiksha kept the phone down.

Kanak sat on the sofa. She didn't feel hungry but she knew Pratiksha was right worrying herself sick wouldn't help if she was to take a stand against Aarav Singhania. He really worried her. He seemed to be the type of man who wasn't used to losing. And he meant every word of what he had said she knew that too. She had seen it in his eyes he didn't seem to make idle threats. Oh, what was she going to do? With that she kept the phone down and went to the kitchen to fix herself some dinner.

***********************

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!