Chapter 30

Kanak got out of the car which she had travelled with Aarav. He had been silent all the way to his home. He had kept himself busy with his laptop and she had felt him to be very tense. Not knowing what was wrong or if it was okay to disturb him with her worries she had kept quiet. She shouldn't have felt worried or tense but strangely because of Aarav she couldn't shake off the bad feeling no matter how much she tried. Initially Palak's marriage was all that had been important to Kanak but now her acceptance into her new family had become important too. What if the Singhanias did not accept Palak? What if Palak wasn't able to convince them of her love for Dhruv? What if...there had been no end and she had thought about the doubts and question all her way to the Singhania House in Juhu.

Now that they were here she was all the more apprehensive. As Aarav got down Dhruv came to meet them.

"Palak is in the car," he said as he reached them, "I thought it best to keep her sitting than make her stand out in the heat," he told them.

"My guess would be the heat here is probably going to be bearable than the heat inside," Aarav said tightly and Dhruv immediately seemed to understand what his brother was saying. Kanak watched a frown appear on Dhruv's forehead as he grew worrisome too.

"What do we do?" Dhruv asked his brother.

"Your father has already sent for everyone to come to the study, take Palak and Kanak there and wait," Aarav said in his no nonsense tone, "I will join you shortly," he told Dhruv and Dhruv nodded.

Kanak followed Dhruv mutely as Aarav went inside. This was the first time she and Palak were entering the Singhania House. It seemed impressive from the outside what with its white modern architecture and massive gates and huge walls to keep inquisitive people out. There had been a security post too with three guards posted at the gates. Kanak looked at the front lawn of the house. Amazing. In the concrete jungle that was Mumbai city, the Singhanias had an impressive stretch of green patch as a lawn with beautiful flowers in full bloom. She saw a man working at one corner. Dhruv went to the other car and assisted Palak out while Kanak waited. Then he took both of them inside through huge wooden doors. As she followed both Dhruv and Palak Kanak didn't know where to look and where not to look. Right from the polished marble floor to massive paintings to columns that supported a round ceiling and the beautiful chandelier. And this was just the foyer. As they went further she found the foyer open to a huge living space with multiple plush couches and several gleaming coffee and side tables. All decorated with vases of fresh flowers or statues or lamps. In the center was a massive crystal chandelier. Kanak gulped and looked to her right which had a small sitting space. Right behind the little space was a round staircase. And along the staircase were three portraits on the wall with engraved sconces in between each. The marble floor turned into a corridor beyond the staircase. Dhruv called out her name to get her attention. And Kanak turned. He pointed towards a door behind the small sitting space and Kanak walked on jelly knees towards it. She needed to sit down. Take a deep breath and get her bearings together. This was insane. This house seemed no less than a palace to her. Dhruv opened the door and Palak entered followed by Kanak who was much slower. She was more than just worried now. How would they ever be able to match up to the Singhanias? How? Kanak took in her new surroundings. There were two huge windows that made one end of the wall. Deep maroon and cream colored curtains were parted away to the side to keep the sunlight coming in through the huge windows. Right in the center was a huge oak table with a computer screen and neatly kept files and office stationary. A big cushioned leather chair was placed on the opposite side of the table. And three leather chairs were placed on the other side. The wall opposite to the windows was lined with shelves full of books. There was a white bonded leather couch with two arm chairs placed at an angle facing the door to the room. Three indoor palm trees filled three separate corners softening the effect of all the wood. The ceiling had recess lighting though there were reading lamps around the room both tall floor lamps and small ones for the side tables near the couch. A maroon Persian rug graced the floor space in front of the couch where the coffee table was kept. Palak went ahead and seated herself on the white couch and gave a sigh of relief.