Chapter 12

Aarav sat patiently at his favorite spot in the restaurant. He liked this booth tucked away in the corner away from prying eyes and other casual guests. The owner was a good friend and every time he called in for reservation the manager knew which spot to reserve for him. He hadn't planned on coming tonight but his day hadn't been good and he needed a break. The meeting hadn't gone as well as he had expected, then Tanish had called from Kolhapur to inform him the situation was worse than what they had thought and he had to extend his stay there and he wasn't happy about it, then he had spoken to Virendra, Dhruv's father who had told him the Singapore deal was messed up and he needed help, Dhruv had been preoccupied the whole day making mistakes so much so Aarav had to ask him to go back home. The only good thing that had happened was Kanak's call about finding the whereabouts of Palak. One good news in a day of messes but even as he had spoken to her, her voice soothing his frustrations he had watched the news on closing points of Sensex. It had dropped three hundred points during the second half of trading and that had angered him again. So he had asked her to join him at the restaurant. He knew the time he had given her was not sufficient. But he hadn't been in the mood to relent. He just hoped she would come. Even if it took her an hour. He could wait.

He had ordered his wine and sat there drinking it enjoying the soft music that played and the quiet atmosphere around him. It was a high end restaurant. He looked at his glass and twirled the red liquid inside before he took a sip. The quality of the wine was great. All the way from Italy. He glanced at his wrist watch. It said seven forty five. He had reached around thirty minutes back. He recalled the time she had called him. Six fifteen. He had never waited for anyone for this long. Poor thing. But if she stood him up there would be hell to pay. He would wait for another fifteen minutes if she wasn't here in that time...and then even before he completed his thought he saw her walking behind the manager. Looking haggard and disoriented not to mention conscious. What was she wearing? He had told her formals. They were formal clothing but it seemed as if she was here for an interview. They were office clothes. And why had she tied her hair so severely. But she looked good. Though he saw her nervousness and anxiety on her face she still looked good. At least the quality of her clothes was nice.

"Mr. Singhania," the manager said politely, "the lady you were waiting for," he said pleasantly and bowing to him and then Kanak turned and left.

"You are late?" Aarav said as he watched her.

That seemed to replace the anxiety into anger.

"You have some guts," she hissed, "do you have any idea how long it takes from Kandivali to Juhu and then to top it the taxi driver had no clue about the restaurant," she said angrily, "it is a blessing I even reached," she said then without waiting for his permission sat down on the other side of the round booth.

Aarav was fascinated. The girl wasn't faking her courage yesterday. Was it only yesterday that they had met? It seemed longer somehow.

"I am glad you could make it," he said amused, "had you decided to not turn up at all you would have been very sorry," he told her pleasantly. And at the alarm he saw in her eyes he realized the thought had crossed her mind. He smiled sardonically. What had made her come despite her reservation?

"Now that I am here," Kanak said ignoring his threat, "can we talk about Palak," she said.

"What's the hurry?" he said lazily and watched her narrow her gaze at him, "Drink?" he asked her.

"I don't drink," she said rudely.

"Did you have dinner?" he asked again.

Before she could answer no and tell him that she was here to talk about Palak her stomach rumbled again and she gave him a horrified look. Aarav couldn't help but smile.