Chapter 4

Aarav got down from his car. Well, it was a car to him but for the onlookers it was a dream vehicle. One they saw only on television or in films. A brand new black Porsche Cayenne with four wheel drive, traction control and fully loaded. He buttoned his expensive tailored black pin stripe jacket and took his sunglasses off as he surveyed the courtyard that marked the entrance of the building the supposed sister lived in. The one who had been brought in for questioning and then allowed to go when it was confirmed she was not Palak Sharma. Dhruv had thrown a fit over the phone at what had taken place so much so that he was here with him to meet the sister and see if she knew anything about the missing love of his brother's life. He scoffed.

"Are you sure she stays here?" Aarav asked casually.

"Yes, why?" Dhruv said confused.

"Because this building doesn't need an earthquake to fall, you sneeze and it will become rubble in practically five seconds," Aarav replied and glanced at Dhruv who looked ready to kill him.

"You have a great sense of humor bhai," he said tightly.

"Yes, well I was born with it," Aarav replied with a half-smile, "but just now I wasn't joking," he said seriously.

Dhruv would murder him. One day. Right now he needed his brother's assistance to find Palak.

"What was the sister's name again?" Aarav asked knitting his brows.

"Kanak," Dhruv repeated exasperated with his cousin for the moment.

First Aarav gave the task of finding Palak to someone who was supposed to be a genius at tracking missing people and he in turn gave the job to the police who picked up Kanak who was the wrong girl and Palak's sister. Next Dhruv had to practically beg him to come here and meet with Kanak and now his unwanted comments. Dhruv was ready to tear off his hair.

"Hmmm," Aarav said, "what were the parents playing when they named their daughters, rhyming words?" he asked caustically.

"Bhai please, can we go and meet her and see if she knows anything," Dhruv suggested gritting his teeth, "and the names do not rhyme," he told Aarav.

"If you insist," Aarav said rudely, "only why must I follow you on this when I could do so many other important things," he muttered then walked ahead before Dhruv complained again.

They reached the flat and Aarav rang the bell. He didn't know what he was expecting because he hadn't met the girl before this only Dhruv had when he had gone to the Police station but he definitely wasn't expecting the person who opened the door and then before he or Dhruv could react started to close the door on their face. It was reflex on his part that stopped the door from being shut completely. His foot intervened and though the force of the door did hurt, his surprise at her action muted the effect.

"That is not something people do when I visit," he remarked.

"So what do they do," she said angrily, "lay down petals on the floor and sprinkle perfume in the air," she retorted.

Aarav raised an arrogant eyebrow and looked at Dhruv who looked just as astounded. He was useless anyway. So Aarav looked at his opponent again. She was a thin girl with a heart shaped face about five feet five he would guess and medium length black hair tied high on her head in a pony. She wore an old oversized t shirt with an equally old worn out jeans. Nothing about her commanded attention except for the big almond shaped eyes with a deep sherry color and the lilting quality of her voice. But her retort demanded a fitting reply.

"Not really," he said with a smile that never reached his eyes, "I would say it is pretty old fashioned but I don't expect you to know the difference so it is alright," he said and watched her eyes shift as if unsure of what she should answer, "we are here to talk to you about an important matter and it wouldn't bode well either for you or that missing sister of yours if we keep standing here. I am positive your inquisitive neighbors are watching this scene unfold right this second," he said without taking his eyes away from her face.