Chapter 58

Kanak was tired. Who wouldn't be? Trying to talk sense to Palak was quite a task if one was to ask her. First, she wasn't ready to listen. Second, she wasn't ready to agree. Third, she wanted Dhruv to stand with her when she spoke to her mother in-law. Fourth, she had agreed with Dhruv and decided that for now telling they were pregnant was the best possible option. And she didn't want to divulge the whole truth just now. No matter how much Kanak had argued otherwise. Finally, Kanak had given up. It was their decision. If they wanted to make a mistake knowing what they were doing then so be it. She didn't want to interfere too much. Dhruv had been grateful. And he had said so in no uncertain terms. As she exited Singhania house she recalled the satisfaction on Dhruv's face, after all Palak had started talking to him again. And relief on Palak's. They had invited her for dinner but she had declined politely. Next, Dhruv had wanted to drive her home or at least arrange transport but she had refused both the offers as well. It was only seven thirty in the evening. She would easily get transport home. She didn't want to take any unnecessary obligation from either Dhruv or Palak.

She had hoped to meet Aarav. But it seemed he wasn't home as yet. Must be working. She breathed in the salty evening air. Singhania house was practically next to the beach. It was walking distance from their house. She was disappointed in not being able to see him again. When would she get over this feeling? This emotion? This constant need to be with him? Probably never. She was a hopeless case. She shook her head as she walked towards the main street so she could get an auto to go to the station. A car was coming from the opposite side and she walked on the pavement. But as the car came closer it seemed to slow down. She squinted her eyes to see if she recognized the car or the driver. Her mind alert to any unwanted act. It was becoming common these days to pull a girl in a moving car. She tightened her hold on her phone. But the car came to a complete halt next to her. She cautiously peered into it under the waning light from the sky and the dim ones of the street. The window rolled down and her breath hitched. It was Aarav. He must have recognized her.

"Hi," he said.

"Hey," she replied a little breathlessly. All her disappointment vanishing into thin air.

"You came to see Palak," Aarav stated in his usual arrogant way.

He was so sure that was the reason of her visit and it was, that Kanak actually smiled and shook her head.

"Yes," she replied with a smile. Trust him to nail the reasons and answers in one shot.

"Why are you smiling?" Aarav asked wondering if she was okay.

He had seen her walking down the street going in the opposite direction. And he had been surprised at first then realized she was probably here to see Palak. He had seen the strain on her sister's face for the past couple of days and the tension on Dhruv's. He hadn't asked and Dhruv hadn't talked. It wasn't his place to interfere. Aarav had had this policy for a long time and he had followed it without any laxity. If a member of his family had a problem they came to him, he never went and asked. And so he had left the two of them alone. Choti ma had of course queried but they had refused to give a concrete reply and so she had backed off too. So maybe Palak had asked her sister to come see her and she was here. But it was good. For him. He had been wanting to see her too. That five minute conversation he had with her every day was not enough. Not anymore. His greed was increasing. Listening to her voice every day kept him in a good mood. Most times. But he craved more. More time. More talks. More visits. He knew very well what a dangerous territory he was treading and he was unable to help himself. Just now, when he had seen her walking down the street it had been a wish come true. He could have gone straight ahead but he couldn't. He knew he should have. But lately he had started listening more to his heart than his head. Especially where she was concerned. Rest didn't matter.