Chapter 28

"And you hid all that from me?" Pratiksha screeched with her eyes big in her face and delicate eyebrows touching the hairline on her forehead.

Kanak looked guiltily at Pratiksha who sat on her sofa with a mixed expression of shock and disbelief on her face. This was the first time since Kanak had known the other girl where she had hid something from her. They had been best friends since second grade and had always been together. They even went to the same college and were into the same profession. There was nothing about Kanak that Pratiksha didn't know and vice versa.

"I am sorry," Kanak pleaded with her friend, "I didn't have a choice," she said reluctantly.

"Don't give me that," Pratiksha replied as she raised her hand towards her, "you didn't trust me," she said, hurt.

"That is not true," Kanak said upset.

"So why didn't you tell me," Pratiksha asked again, "I would have helped you Kanak, I wouldn't have let anyone bully you," she said angry at Kanak, "and that Palak...you wait till I get my hands around her neck," she said as she narrowed her eyes, "I will give her such a whack she would come to her senses in one go," she told Kanak.

"What is done is done," Kanak said as usual.

"No, it is not done, every action has consequences Kanak, some short some long term," Pratiksha intervened vehemently, "you are bearing the consequences for no fault of yours. How is it done? And you know what, you have to get over this attitude of yours," she said crossly, "world is not that simple. First, it was only Palak who stepped all over you and now it is some big shot. You keep saying that and more names will add on to the growing list," she warned.

"Pratiksha," Kanak said quietly, "Aarav has said the marriage has to take place one way or another," she told her friend who gave her a look that suggested Kanak had lost her marbles but Kanak ignored it and went on, "they don't want a scandal either and Dhruv is keen to marry Palak too. So the problem is almost resolved," she said and smiled trying to coax her friend out of her anger.

"You keep believing whatever line that Singhania fed you and you will find nothing is as it seems," Pratiksha replied unmoved, "how well do you know that guy? In fact, after all the tension and stress he put you through how can you trust him?" she asked pointedly.

And Kanak paused. She thought about it. But somewhere she did trust him. Not completely but she did. Why? She had tried to avoid the question and she wasn't keen on asking herself the same right now either. Aarav had looked her in the eye when he had said those words to her at the airport. And what about the little warm moments they had shared in Goa? She felt warmth spread its wings inside and felt her heart flutter. It had happened at the airport too. Why was that? Never mind that now but she had seen another side to him. Something to give her hope if not much. Even if they were brief moments but he wasn't as ruthless as he came across.

"I don't know Pratiksha," Kanak said softly, "but I know this much if he has said Dhruv and Palak's marriage will take place then that is how it will be," she said with confidence.

Pratiksha looked at her friend again as if seeing her for the first time. She looked carefully. There was a change in Kanak. Not very apparent but just now when she had spoken of that man her eyes had gone all soft and her face had grown a shade warm. A faint smile touched her lips and the confidence she heard in Kanak's voice. Was there something Pratiksha was missing? Kanak had arrived an hour ago at her place and over a cup of tea she had told her everything that had taken place in the past few days. Including Palak being pregnant. And she had been angry with her for hiding so many things from her. It had hurt a bit that Kanak hadn't trusted her enough to keep her informed since the beginning. But now as she heard Kanak she didn't feel all that hurt anymore. She wasn't even as angry as she had wanted to be. She had just been worried for her friend. Pratiksha knew from experience what Palak was like. There had been times when she had paid for Palak's mistakes too but then she had taken a stand and told her to face her own problems. The reason why Palak disliked her immensely and she returned the sentiment. But Kanak was different. She was mostly guided by her sense of duty. And Pratiksha understood that. She knew Kanak felt indebted to Palak's parents for taking her in and then taking care of her. And she wanted to repay their kindness in whatever way she can. What Kanak didn't understand was there was no end to repaying that kind of kindness. She could keep doing things for them and Palak all her life and still won't be anywhere near paying off. What her uncle and aunt had done was out of love for her not because they expected her to pay them back someday. Though Kanak refused to listen to that logic. Pratiksha sighed. She could never stay angry with Kanak for long.