Chapter 76

Rohini had been very restless since last night. She couldn't sleep and she wasn't feeling very hungry either. Aarav's declaration had caught her off guard and then his decision had disturbed her. All night long she had only one question in mind. What was it about Kanak that Aarav was ready to do anything for her? She was troubled. How was it possible? She knew her son and she knew he would never be blinded by emotions. So it wasn't just love it was more than that. And it wasn't stubbornness either. Only what emotion or logic drove him she couldn't understand. And it was irritating her. Before things went out of hand and Aarav made true of his words she wanted to assess the situation for herself. So she had decided to see the person of interest in all this.

As Rohini waited for Kanak to arrive her mind went over her conversation with Aarav from the previous evening for the nth time. For the first time in years she had heard him talk so much. He had shared something this personal in a long time too. And then they had hurt each other. She knew she had hurt him last night by refusing to even think his request through. And he had hurt her by going against her. She sighed. She wasn't a weak woman. She hadn't breathed a word of her conversation to anybody. If things got resolved in the next half an hour or so then good, if not then she will ask papa to come over and intervene. She knew for sure there would be no support for Aarav if she didn't stand by him. She was about to look at her watch when she saw Kanak walk in with the manager of the restaurant.

Rohini watched Kanak with mild interest. The girl looked nice today. She did possess a pleasing personality unlike that sister of hers. Palak had a tendency to overdo things. While Kanak liked to underplay. She was much more simple that way. Whether it was the way she spoke or the way she dressed or the way she presented herself. She was wearing a beautiful maroon kurta with black churidaar and black embroidered dupatta. With minimal makeup and her hair left open she looked graceful. There was a certain charm to her and Rohini appreciated it. As the manager left after inclining his head at Rohini Kanak folded her hands and greeted her.

"Namaste aunty," she said softly.

Rohini didn't return the greeting instead she indicated for Kanak to take a seat which she did. From far Kanak had looked serene but as she sat in front of her Rohini could see the tension in her eyes. The slight frown on her forehead, the forced smile on her lips and the way she sat absolutely straight all pointed to just one thing. She was a bit strained.

Kanak hadn't anticipated the call she had received this morning from Aarav's mother. Rohini Singhania wanted to meet her and had told her categorically to not let her son know of this meeting. Aarav had called her last night and informed her of what had taken place and she had been highly upset though she had tried to soothe him. He had tried to be his usual nonchalant person but she had heard the hurt and the pain in his voice. And when she had asked him to talk to her he had. His mother's refusal to even consider his wish had pained him a lot and he had then fell silent over the phone and she had spoken to him. Softly. Telling him it would be all right. She knew how much he loved and respected his mother and she did too. She had told him she would always love him and she understood his reluctance to get married without his mother being present. And that she didn't mind society saying anything because with him she felt stronger. She had talked her heart out and he had listened. In the end when he had said he loved her she had felt better. Her upset had left her of its own. It was all that mattered to her. He loved her and she didn't need any other affirmation to their relationship. She could live with those words all her life. Slowly and steadily she was getting over her fear of society and their talks. Getting more confident in her love for him. Gaining more trust in his love for her. She had wanted to cry but she hadn't. Before Rohini's call this morning she had called Pratiksha and told her everything. And though her friend had been livid she had also been surprised at how calm Kanak had sounded. Then she had received Rohini's call. So she was here. Thankfully she had found something really nice in her wardrobe to wear. Something she had bought a while back and then forgotten about. She just hoped her tension didn't show.