Chapter 43

The party was in full swing. And Kanak had yet to see a grander reception. There were so many people and such important ones that she had lost count of who was who. There had been so many moments where she had felt a bit out of place. Okay, so not a bit but a lot. It was as if the whole of Mumbai had been invited. Movie stars, socialites, industrialists, politicians, media. Where did you get to see such an ensemble of personalities?

She had been so nervous when she had arrived. Not sure about how she looked. Her hair wasn't very long and she just didn't want some curls or perms. So finally the stylist had decided to give her a loose side bun and had assured her it would be perfect with what she had to wear. Next, the makeup person had decided to add a lot of drama to her face but she had resisted. The woman had been very upset with her but had given in and had finally given her a more natural look. But she had definitely darkened her eyes. Making them more mysterious. And though Kanak had been skeptical, Pratiksha had told her she looked stunning. The fitting of her dress was perfect and she wondered how in the world did Aarav know her size? The fall of the skirt of her kurta went all the way to her ankles barely showing the churidaar beneath. When she had finally taken a look at herself she hadn't recognized the girl who stared back from the mirror. It was someone else. She had been bowled over by how different she looked. And somewhere she had felt a different kind of confidence take up residence inside her. Pratiksha looked beautiful too in her emerald green sari with a black halter neck blouse and long earrings. She had longer hair and the stylist had had fun playing around with it. And she had definitely got the smoky look done which she said was very in. Once they were ready they took a cab to the hotel where the party was to take place. Only when the cab had neared their destination Kanak had felt nervousness take over again. The dress was fine, only what she had done with herself over and above that, was a concern. But she needn't have worried Aarav hadn't been there with the others. Palak looked gorgeous in her shiny gold lehenga choli and a heavy set of gold jewelry. Perfect makeup and hairstyle. Kanak had felt her sister give her a look over and narrow her gaze but Kanak hadn't given it much thought. She had been more disappointed at Aarav not being there than to ponder over her sister or her sister's thoughts. Her uncle and aunt had been delighted to see her all decked up and had told her so. She had of course, met Chitra and Rohini. And where Chitra had told her openly she looked beautiful Rohini had just nodded her approval. Though Kanak had seen appreciation in Rohini's eyes too. Then Palak and Dhruv were ushered away by Virendra Singhania for media briefing. While the rest of them had gone towards the lawns where the party was to take place and guests had started to arrive shortly after.

An hour into the party and still no sign of Aarav. Kanak didn't know anybody except the Singhanias or Pratiksha. Her uncle and aunt felt out of place but they kept their smiles on as they were introduced to several other relatives and important guests. Kanak decided to look for Pratiksha who had gone in search of her aunt about something and hadn't returned since. As she walked past Shilpa she heard what the woman was telling her friend.

"You know Nalini," Shilpa said with a lot of drama, "I have never been one to follow social dictates," she said firmly and Kanak was surprised, "I had always wanted Dhruv to find his partner and well, he has," she said with a smile and Kanak almost stopped and stared, "I couldn't be more proud," Shilpa said proudly, "we are pretty modern that way," she said haughtily and Kanak almost shook her head.

What a hypocrite? But who was she to judge. They all were playing at all- is- well. This party was for show. And every single person here was playing a part. She smiled wryly and walked on. Where had Pratiksha vanished off to? She stopped and looked around.

"Are you a relative of the Singhanias?" she heard a husky voice ask and she turned to look at the stocky man who stood right behind her.

She didn't know who he was. Hell, she didn't know more than ninety percent of the people here. And she felt so out of place. The man wasn't tall, stockily built with gelled hair. His choice of clothes was poor because it didn't suit him at all but the quality was impressive. There was a heavy gold chain in his neck. And he did wear a gold bracelet along with a huge gold ring in his right hand. He had a lot of money but no class. The man had asked her a question and she needed to respond though she didn't get a very nice feeling being around him.