Chapter 19

"Answer me," Kanak said even as she secretly gulped at the anger she saw flickering in the depths of Aarav's eyes.

He was dangerous when he was angry. Dhruv was right about him being ruthless and she was challenging him. She better get herself checked. But she couldn't let him be either. This was about Palak too. Her reputation also mattered. It wasn't just about the Singhanias or how they would show their faces in public. It was about Palak and her future.

"It is not about Palak," he said in a dangerously low voice.

"How can it not be?" Kanak countered even as she felt two pair of eyes on her. "Look, I am not siding with them neither am I saying what they did was genius," she said trying to sound reasonable, "what they did was wrong. They should have shown more restraint. And I agree we are poles apart when it comes to family backgrounds and societal status. But it is the same for us in whatever society you think we belong to," she said trying her hand as sarcasm but realized she was failing miserably especially when Aarav narrowed his eyes, "Palak's reputation, her future, our family's name amongst friends and relatives everything is at stake," she said her voice getting emotional. "If they marry, it would be the best solution for everyone," she said.

"Have you ever met anyone else besides me and Dhruv from our family?" he asked his tone sounding bored with her emotional outburst.

"No," Kanak answered wondering what he meant.

"Then what gives you the right to say or judge any of us," Aarav countered.

"I am not judging you," Kanak responded.

"You know lies don't suit you," Aarav replied with a half-smile, "the day you meet the others from my family you will know what I am talking to Dhruv about. I am not casting aspersions on your sister. If she is pregnant she certainly didn't do it alone," he said firmly, "and I am not absolving Dhruv of it, all I am asking him is how does he propose to put this thing to his family. And I do know that whatever class of society you belong to these things are not taken kindly, especially for the girl and her family. I have a sister too and God forbid she ever does something like this," he said angrily and saw guilt on Kanak's face, "but having said that I still cannot approve of this alliance till they prove it to me they intend to stay together and this is not a façade," he said and stared at Kanak.

Kanak had assumed he wanted her sister out of Dhruv's life because of her social status. But he didn't. He understood how difficult it would be for her and her family to face everyone. Though he didn't go into the details of his reasoning whatever little he said she found she had judged him hastily. He only wanted to be sure of Dhruv and Palak's feelings. He had just said he had a sister too. And strangely she didn't know anything about his family. Dhruv and Aarav were cousins that much she had deduced from the way he spoke to Dhruv about his parents. But the sister he spoke of, was she another cousin or was she his real sister? She didn't know. So how could she judge someone she didn't know? Just because he was high handed, egotistical and set in his ways didn't mean he was a bad person. Or he wanted to harm her sister. But he was manipulative. He had manipulated her into finding Palak. So how could she trust him completely? The doubts claimed her. Just because he had briefly comforted her a little while ago or said something to get her to be emotional didn't mean he would happily accept her sister in Dhruv's life.

"And how do you propose to do that?" Kanak asked in a less heated tone.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Aarav asked as he narrowed his eyes again.

He had seen her believing him when she had looked guilty at judging him but then he had seen it change too. The doubts were back.

"How does anyone prove they love each other?" Kanak asked.