Chapter 33

Aarav entered the huge mansion that sat on the top of the rolling hills of Khandala. A little high up and out of the hustle bustle of the local tourist destination. It was raining outside. But rains in Khandala were different from how it rained in Mumbai. The soft dark clouds always stepped down from their perch in the sky and enveloped the hills and valleys in their embrace. One practically walked in the clouds and the moisture they held. It was beautiful and with hills lush green at this time of the year it was a very romantic place. A pity he wasn't one. The servant had opened the door to him and told him his grandfather was in the living room.

Aarav straightened and went towards the huge room complete with a fireplace. In his opinion there wasn't need of one but his grandfather had wanted it and so it had been built. And as he entered he saw a fire burning in its grate. His grandfather sat on the plush couch with a glass in his hand that held amber colored liquid inside. Aarav heard the crackling of the fire and the tinkle of ice as it rolled against the glass. Taking in a deep breath he walked up to his grandfather and touched his feet in respect.

Kamlesh Singhania looked at his grandson and placed his hand on his head in blessing.

"You are late," Kamlesh said as Aarav straightened and stood before him.

"Blame it on the rains," Aarav replied formally, "they slowed the car down," he informed his grandfather taking in his appearance. It had been a while since he had seen the older man. He took in the frail appearance of the man who sat before him. His wide forehead seemed to be creased with more lines now. His hair more white and thinner somehow. The thick eyebrows and white thick moustache. But his eyes were alert. His thin lips and hollow cheekbones that he hid with the light beard on his face. He wore a grey kurta with black trousers. His gold watch gleamed as the light bounced off it. And he wore sandals in his feet. But Aarav didn't let his grandfather's frail appearance bluff him into thinking he was mellow. He was anything but.

"What are you staring at?" Kamlesh asked irritated with Aarav's scrutiny.

"You have lost weight since I saw you last," he pointed out still standing. Well, his grandfather hadn't given him permission to sit yet and to do so without his word would not sit well with the old man.

"You are not here to tell me I have lost weight, are you boy," the other man said shrewdly and smiled coldly. Aarav refused to look away. He stood there proud and tall lest his grandfather think otherwise. After a few silent minutes passed Kamlesh sighed. "You look like you could use a drink yourself," he said slowly, "help yourself, then we will talk," he told Aarav.

Aarav inclined his head in agreement and went to the small bar his grandfather kept fully stocked. It didn't seem to matter to him that he had a weak heart and other piling diseases. He did what he wanted to, regardless. He had had seven caretakers so far and all had declined to work for him after a few months. He drove everyone nuts around him. One reason why his mother stayed with him most times. With her around Kamlesh Singhania toed the line, sometimes. But the latest caretaker they had hired had seemed to stick it out.

"Where is Rosa?" Aarav asked casually as he made a light drink for himself.

"In the kitchen," Kamlesh replied with a smirk, "no doubt making that darned dinner that is not worth looking at forget eating," he told Aarav grouchily, "am so sure she mixes slow killing poison in it," he said and Aarav smiled, "so I die a torturous death only she doesn't know me well," he said and smiled at his grandson knowingly, "I am not that easy to kill. Hell, I survived the combined efforts of Virendra and Shilpa, she doesn't even begin to compare," he said and laughed out loud, "cheers," he said as he raised his glass then gestured for Aarav to take a seat and Aarav did. "You grow more handsome every time I see you my dear grandson," Kamlesh said lightly, "and the frown lines increase in number too, family giving you a hard time," he told Aarav as he watched him keenly.