Chapter 40

Kanak was ready to scream. Why was he doing this to her?

He had been so nice and sweet to his aunt. Utterly respectful to her aunt. And very understanding towards her uncle whom he had taken for a cup of coffee giving the ladies the space to get whatever was required. And by the time they had returned she had found her uncle to be in awe of him. He had been angry with her for not telling him who Aarav was. And when she had looked confused Anil had provided the answer about Aarav being in charge of Singhania group. And she had felt uncertain. Not that her uncle had noticed. He had then gone on to inform her what a genius Aarav was and how they had figured out a way to take away the pressure he had felt. And Kanak had all but narrowed her gaze at Aarav who had sat there with an arrogant smile plastered to his face.

Next Chitra had informed them about the time they were expected to come for dinner and she had gently reminded Sharda about the gifts she needed to carry today with her and Sharda had taken the advice gratefully. They seemed to have become friends. Chitra and Sharda. And in such a short time. But then Chitra was a very warm person as was Kanak's aunt. And Kanak hoped Sharda would be able to match up to Shilpa who was Kanak's biggest worry. But she needn't have, because in her own manner Chitra had already disclosed certain traits of the members of her family and what should the Sharma's expect. Kanak was grateful. She could never have prepared her uncle and aunt for the event. Nor could she take away all their worries and anxieties. The problem was she had already said her thanks to Chitra, she was not sure how to broach the subject with Aarav. And she bit her lip at that. Chitra was a very nice lady. Very down to earth. Easy to talk to. She had made both Kanak and Sharda so comfortable they hadn't felt any different from her. She had made sure they bought the right thing and didn't go over budget either. The toughest gift to find was one for Kamlesh Singhania. Shilpa's gift had been the easiest. And Kanak had been surprised.

After that they had shared a light lunch and had almost parted ways when Chitra was reminded she hadn't bought a gift for Kanak. Kanak had smiled and said it was alright but Aarav had butted in and exclaimed it wasn't proper at all. Chitra needed to leave as she was to oversee arrangements for the dinner tonight and both Sharda and Anil looked beat. And Aarav had magnanimously taken the responsibility to take her so she could get something for herself.

And so here they were. In another shop. He was busy on the phone and she was asked to pick whatever she liked. But that was what he said. There were people around to help but she couldn't make up her mind. She was miserable. More so, he had made her miserable. Anything she picked he would just stand and look thoughtful and she would leave it. She wasn't a shopping person at all. Just to go through every shop till she found what was perfect had never been her. It was what Palak was good at. And Aarav though seemed uncomfortable refused to let her buy just anything. It was a gift from their side he had said arrogantly. And Kanak was so ready to scream.

"Why can't I buy this one?" Kanak protested as she looked at the designer sari that she had picked.

And Aarav raised an eyebrow.

"You are the bride's sister not her maid," he said arrogantly.

"This is nice," Kanak said as she looked at the cloth in her hand again.

"Tell me something," Aarav said thoughtfully, "do you like yourself?" he asked.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Kanak asked confused.

"I mean do you like yourself," Aarav said impatiently, "like the person you are," he told her.

Kanak thought about it.

"It shouldn't take you this long," Aarav said irritated.

"Yes," she finally said hesitantly.

"That should have come out stronger Kanak," Aarav said firmly, "the way you spoke about Palak when we were looking for her or when you stood up to me to tell me love cannot be proven," he told her categorically, "your problem is you don't value yourself," he said annoyed with her, "if you did, you would have known, this," he said and pointed to the sari she held in her hands, "will never look good on you," he said and walked out of the store.