Chapter 26

Kanak was folding her night shirt when she heard a knock on her door. Before she could say 'come in' it opened and Palak marched in. Kanak looked at her sister. She looked angry for some reason.

"The nerve of that man," Palak said as she came in and sat on the bed in a huff, "he thinks he is God," she went on, "wait till things settle down I will show him things about a manner or two," she said.

"And hi to you too," Kanak said dryly as she placed her clothes in the bag, "why are you here exactly?" she asked as she zipped her bag close.

"Oh di," Palak said as she fell back on the bed dramatically, "you are not still mad at me for keeping my relationship with Dhruv a secret, are you?" she asked as she batted her eyelids and made a pout with her lips.

Kanak looked at her strangely. Who was this girl? How come she had changed so much? Worse, how come Kanak had never noticed the changes? Or maybe she had but had ignored them. Isn't that what one does with family? Ignore their antics till you cannot take them anymore. Best part was Palak didn't even realize how badly she had messed up. She couldn't believe her ears when she heard Palak voice those words.

"No, why would I be mad at you," Kanak replied caustically, "you are old enough to do what you please," she said irritated with Palak and her immaturity, "so why should I be mad at you for hiding that you not only had a relationship with a man named Dhruv Singhania or that you went on to become so intimate with him that you got pregnant," she said a little loudly.

"Come on di, grow up," Palak said as she sat up straight first and then rose to turn and face her squarely, "what is the big fuss. I will be married to him soon," she told Kanak haughtily, "stop being so uptight about things. We are committed to each other and that is what matters. And if that brother of his thinks he can stop us he will have to think again," she said as she crossed her arms over her chest.

Kanak didn't even know where to begin with Palak. But she lost her temper when she went ahead and said Aarav won't be able to stop her from marrying Dhruv. Just what did she mean by that? Was this all it was to her? This relationship a means to get her dream. Kanak was disgusted.

"If it is not such a big deal then why did you run away?" she asked as she advanced towards her sister, "Why didn't you tell me that you were seeing Dhruv or that you were pregnant before your marriage? If it is not a big deal then how come you want to marry Dhruv? Go ahead and have the baby without giving a legal name to your relationship," she said tightly. "And as far as Aarav is concerned let me remind you he can very well stop your marriage as well as ruin not just your life but the family's reputation too," she said as anger rose within her, "had he wanted to he would have done it already. But he didn't. Instead he is here to sort this out as best he can to the satisfaction of all those involved," she said unknowingly defending Aarav to her sister, "and instead of being grateful to him for making sure Dhruv didn't just vanish on you, you are casting insults," she said angrily.

"You are so old fashioned di," Palak shot back, "and why are you so defensive of that bigheaded brother of Dhruv's? Dhruv himself is out of patience with his brother. He is the most conceited, rude, opinionated man I have ever met," she declared.

"Because he can look past your charms," Kanak gave back, "forget about him for a second," she said, "tell me something. When you found out about your situation did you for a second pause and think about uncle and aunty," she asked.

Palak looked alarmed then ashamed. She hadn't. She had only thought of what she would do. And how to tell Dhruv about it. She had worried over his reaction and what if someone found out. What would her friends say or think? Not even for a second she had thought about her parents. Not till Dhruv had suggested she abort the pregnancy. She bit her lip.