Chapter 47

Aarav was irritated. And that was putting it mildly. He had been so busy through the evening it wasn't even funny. He couldn't spare five minutes. And for the past forty minutes or so anyone who looked at his face scurried away. Good for them. His family was used to his unusual moods so they didn't bother. Finally, as most of the guests had left and the remaining starting to move out he had caught hold of Kanak. Poor thing looked beat. Not her fault. It was three in the morning. She looked haggard. Her make up all washed off and the bun she had made looked more messy now. She still looked cute though. However, the opportunity was lost to tell her how beautiful she had looked tonight. But he still had to tell her the other thing.

"What is wrong with you?" he asked a bit harshly.

"Nothing," Kanak replied tiredly.

She had waited for so long for him to tell her what he thought. And then had given up hope. As the evening had turned into night and then dragged on she had become tired.

"Then why do you look so morose?" Aarav asked again.

His questions were irritating her. What was wrong with him? It was three in the morning for God's sake. Top to that she was mad at him, then she was even madder at Tanish for behaving so insufferably with her and she was maddest at Palak. When was she going to grow up? She had been asked to go meet Kamlesh Singhania. The grandfather. And instead Palak had taken her along too. All she had to see and hear. It was true though. Kamlesh Singhania was scarier than even Shilpa aunty. After all he had reduced Palak to tears in a matter of seconds. While she had stood there dumbly pitying her sister and then getting angry at her for dragging her along to witness yet another member of the Singhania clan shredding their dignity to pieces. Oh well, at least it was over now. Luckily her uncle and aunt hadn't been subjected to that humiliation. Kanak herself had been praised for choosing a wise gift for him. And she hadn't really known how to react to that praise considering Palak was miffed with her over it. So yeah, if Aarav's questions were bugging her right now she was not to be blamed.

"I thought there was a point, to you asking me to meet you here before I left," she said a bit tersely and saw him narrow his gaze immediately.

"How many times do I have to remind you to watch your tone with me," he said angrily.

"Look, I am dead tired," Kanak said not heeding his warning or tone, "and I have had it with you, your brother and my sister tonight. So please if you don't mind, can we skip the warning session and go to the point where you tell me what is it that you want?" she said annoyed with him.

"Which brother?" Aarav asked confused.

Oh man, she hadn't realized that part had slipped out. The state she was in right now maybe Tanish should come and ask her now why Dhruv had a hasty wedding, she would tell him everything.

"Aarav..." she would have tried to dodge the question but he took a step closer and she forgot how to breathe. Even with her tired befuddled brain she was very aware of him as a man. Amazing. He still had the energy and the focus to keep things in perspective.

"The question stands Miss Sharma," Aarav said. His voice turning menacing as he frowned.

How she hated him when he used that tone? But she knew if she didn't give him an answer he would stand there till he got it. Or he would go to both his brothers tagging her along and get his answer from there. In short she tell him.

"Tanish," she said slowly and looked away.

"He hasn't given up on finding out the truth yet," Aarav said abruptly and damned his brother to hell.

But he should have known. He knew how Tanish operated. And he was pretty relentless that way. The day of the announcement he had already surmised Aarav hadn't been much at fault. Nothing ever missed that intelligent observation of his. He would of course want to know why. What he would do with the knowledge was beyond him. And he had approached Kanak with the question twice.