Chapter 50

Kanak dreaded the upcoming meeting with Mr. Asthana. She didn't like the man. She had tried. But she just couldn't find it in her generous often forgiving nature to like him. She had a weekly meeting with him scheduled to start in fifteen minutes. As it is she had had a harrowing day.

One of her team mates had taken an unexpected off and she had had to call in someone else cancelling the person's off day and thus upsetting his plans. She had received several angry looks from the same because of that. Next, another person had fallen sick on the shift and had to be sent home. And instead of calling someone in again she had taken over the job. Which had brought in some much needed appreciative glances but it hadn't been enough. The hotel was packed and the workload had increased. Then she had struggled with providing compensatory offs, while making sure she had enough people on every shift to making a roster for next week. She had worked on the report that was to be submitted to Mr. Asthana of what all had been done this past week to making a data sheet for the inventory spent, in stock and inventory needed. She was overworked and overtired.

What had Aarav got her into? He might be successful at what he did and he might love to work day in day out but she wasn't him. What had he been thinking? Nothing had prepared her for this. But the money was good. Her salary had increased to be practically doubled. Not to mention the name on her CV would look good too. To be working for such a prestigious company was an achievement. She wasn't shy of hard work. But she had been thrown into the swimming pool and asked to swim without even the basics being taught to her. But that wasn't the point either. She knew that was how the industry worked. And she did have a three year experience behind her. But the responsibility now was huge. And what was she to do about her own nature? It was always easy to follow orders but to take decisions and then executing them was tough. And she wasn't used to doing that. What hindered her progress was also the fact that she was alone here. No friends. No guides. Even though she was learning the ropes of the job real fast. According to her maybe it wasn't fast enough. Worse, her constant thoughts about Aarav were also slowing her down. What had she done to herself? She had often wondered. Unfortunately, she hadn't come up with any solutions as yet.

Kanak sighed as she stood outside Mr. Asthana's office. She hoped she would be able to sit through this meeting without giving in to her irritation over his unwanted comments. She looked at her wrist watch. It was four fifteen and she had been here since six in the morning. That was when she had taken over from the person who had fallen sick. Hoping this would finish soon she knocked and at the 'come in' she heard she entered with a smile plastered to her face.

"Good evening Sir," she said politely as she walked in.

"Ah, Miss Sharma," Mr. Asthana said in his heavy voice, "it is time for the meeting already," he said as if he couldn't believe it.

Kanak didn't say anything but kept her smile. Mr. Asthana wore his two piece black suit with a red tie which was also the uniform of the male staff in the hotel. His name tag was pinned to the left side of his lapel. His spectacles on his eyes under the bushy eyebrows. He was a stout man. But very commanding. She walked all the way to his desk and kept standing till he gestured for her to sit. As she did she handed him the folder she carried. He took it and his fingers brushed hers. She hastily pulled her hand back. And he carried on as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. Kanak however wasn't sure if it had been deliberate or not. She waited as he went over the report and the data sheet.

"This is better than the last time," he said and smiled.

"Thank you Sir," she replied politely.

Mr. Asthana closed the folder and looked at her, pinning her with his gaze and Kanak felt an uncomfortable feeling creep up her spine.