Chapter 29

Virendra Kamlesh Singhania was something else. His height of six feet and broad build gave him an air of strength. Complete with a pair of spectacles over his eyes and moustache he not only looked different from both Aarav and Dhruv, he seemed very much his own person. With a frown of displeasure on his face he arrived with Mr. Arora at the court. This was the first time Kanak was meeting another influential well-known person from Singhania family and she felt at a loss of what to say. She had the distinct feeling that the Singhania men were bred to look apart from regular folks. The way they dressed, talked, behaved was very different from what Kanak or her family was used to. But she hoped that she would feel better after meeting with Dhruv's father a couple of times just as she was kind of used to Aarav and Dhruv now. There were tired lines around the man's eyes she noticed. He barely spoke a word to her or Palak. He seemed a bit upset. Or was he more worried? Kanak couldn't say. But the man had a daunting personality. Kanak did feel a bit awkward when Aarav introduced her to him. After all Dhruv's father knew the situation as is. And Kanak wasn't sure what the older man was thinking. Not that any of it bothered Palak. She had of course played the part of being a shy bride to the T. Even touching the man's feet for blessing. Virendra Singhania had only grunted and Aarav had watched the scene dispassionately. They had all entered the marriage registrar's office together. And while Aarav and Virendra had played witnesses on Dhruv's behalf. She and Mr. Arora had been from Palak's side. Kanak heaved a big sigh of relief. It was official. Palak was now Palak Singhania. Kanak came out of the room after signing her name in the column meant for witnesses. She felt dampness in her hands. And she unconsciously rubbed it on the side of her dupatta.

Aarav had called three days ago that the wedding would take place at the court because it was fast and that Dhruv's father had decided to keep the event very quiet and to be disclosed to the rest of the family after it took place. Kanak had found it odd that Dhruv's mother wasn't informed about it at all. But she hadn't said anything. Palak had been ecstatic and had worn her I-told-you-so expression. She had gone shopping with Dhruv to select her wedding dress and jewelry. While Kanak had informed her uncle and aunt about it yesterday evening though of course after confirming with Aarav first. She had kept the real reason of the hasty wedding from them and had assured them that that was how the boy's family wanted it. Besides Palak and Dhruv loved each other. Her uncle had been skeptical not to mention angry at Palak for keeping this from them and her aunt had been angry too. But when she had learnt who the boy was and who his family were she had been happy and had overcome her doubts and questions easily. And together they had managed to placate her uncle and convince him to come over. Aarav had graciously arranged their travel or was it Mr. Arora. But it didn't matter because without Aarav's instructions the man wouldn't do anything. They had arrived at the court on time and she had been tense. She hadn't been able to help it. She was an optimistic person but for some reason she wasn't sure if the marriage would go through. She hadn't slept well all night as one doubt after another had assailed her. And even when Palak had gotten ready in the morning with the help of another girl who worked with her at her studio Kanak had felt her nerves to be on edge. Even when she had signed her name she had felt something would go wrong. Now that she breathed in deeply she realized her worries had been for nothing. Everything had happened in an orderly manner. Palak had looked really pretty in her light pink lehenga ensemble from a designer store with a diamond necklace set and Dhruv had looked dashing in his Sherwani. Aarav had of course worn his two piece grey suit with a black tie complete with a grim solemn expression on his face. It had seemed he was here to pass his condolences rather than attend a wedding. While she had worn her turquoise blue salwar kameez she had bought a while ago for a cousin's wedding and the only piece of gold jewelry she had.

Kanak put her hands to her forehead and massaged her temples a little. Now she could breathe more easy. Palak was married. And both families were saved from becoming a part of scandal or ridicule. She heard footsteps behind her and she turned with a small smile on her face not sure who it was. Virendra Singhania walked out with Aarav and said something to him. Aarav nodded and Virendra patting his shoulder left with Arora in tow. She watched the two leave. Aarav stood there with his one hand in his trouser pocket. His expression thoughtful. He seemed more serious than relieved actually. She frowned a little then got fascinated by the way the sun rays bounced off his dark hair. It was as if he had strands that were a bit red blended with his black hair. She smiled.