Chapter 52

Aarav hadn't believed a word when he had been informed of what had taken place. Kanak had slapped her boss? He had found it funny. Not that he had laughed. He couldn't comprehend exactly where Kanak had found it in her gentle very positive and often forgiving nature to get violent. What the hell had happened? And then he had gotten angry when he had received a formal complaint lodged by Asthana crying innocence and blaming Kanak. Not that he could argue or do anything at that point. As she had already been fired and wasn't to be found in the premises of the hotel. He was mad at her for not telling him any of what was happening with her. The reports he had received about her progress had all said she was doing well by the passing day. He had been a bit concerned if she would be able to pull it off considering she didn't have much experience. And just when he was feeling relieved she went ahead and slapped her boss. Why? And if she was facing a problem why hadn't she contacted him?

He had called her the day she had joined, to wish her. It had been a short to the point conversation and since then he had been very busy with getting things in order that had been neglected due to his concentration on family affairs. But he hadn't forgotten her. It was becoming impossible with every passing day to ignore her absence. When had he gotten used to her he wasn't sure but despite his extremely busy schedule he had thought about her. Her wonderful smile, her tinkling voice, her expressive eyes and the way she had looked at the reception. It had made him restless. This wanting. He was at a loss to understand the pull. And no matter how many times he had listed her negatives or given himself reasons why it was dangerous he was helpless. It had angered him and he had engrossed himself in his work in the hopes of curing it. Only it wasn't a disease that could be cured. Maybe he could be friends with her. And he had toyed with that idea for the past couple of days. He had been hoping to call her today and see how she was doing when he had received Mr. Pujari's call. He was the senior associate who handled most of their labor issues regarding an official complaint against Miss Kanak Sharma.

Aarav had been furious. He didn't have any details of what had transpired but if he was to trust his instincts he knew it had to be something huge for Kanak to have done something like that. And maybe it wasn't her fault. Unfortunately, he couldn't really tell anyone that. When he sat in his office heading the vast businesses they had he knew he needed facts, proofs before he could execute any decision and it was that handicap which was responsible for his rising fury. Where the hell was she? And why hadn't she called him? Damn the girl. It had been over thirty minutes since he had called her.

He was pacing his office floor restlessly when Anna called to let him know Kanak had arrived. Taking in a deep breath he controlled his temper. She knocked before she entered. He sat on his chair as he felt the peace invade his consciousness. She walked in and came to stand before the chair opposite to where he sat. He didn't say anything. Over three weeks of not seeing her and now that he finally met her the incredulity of the circumstances forced him to not behave in the manner he would have otherwise. She sat down hesitantly. She seemed nervous. Why was she nervous? He didn't like her this way at all. And how many times had he made her aware of his displeasure about this. She just plain refused to listen. So in a tight voice he asked her what had happened and she had recounted her experience. In a nutshell. He still couldn't understand why she had slapped Asthana. Or how things had escalated to such enormity. She had faltered several times. Fumbled. And he had watched her closely. She hadn't told him everything. Why? She looked....tired. Defeated. A strange wariness appeared in her eyes as she talked. And his anger had grown. He hated it when she looked that way. Why couldn't she be confident all the while? Why couldn't she stand by her decision? Her conviction? If she thought what she did was right then she should be able to stand by it. Defend it to anyone and everyone. He tried to control how he felt but he couldn't. Life was not easy. You had to fight for it. And he wanted her to do the same. Though what difference would it make to him he had no clue but hell, it did.