Chapter 16

Palak knocked on the door some twenty minutes later. She had been surprised to hear from her sister so soon. She had told her about her whereabouts just last evening. She took in a deep breath as she waited. Kanak was a sweetheart and she had known her sister must have been worried sick over her sudden disappearance even though she had left a two line note. Kanak had a tendency to over stress. A flaw. But she was a great girl otherwise. Despite that Palak had never told her about Dhruv. She knew Kanak was a bit old fashioned not to mention a strict follower of traditions. They were so unlike each other that though they had grown up together they weren't best friends. They couldn't be. Kanak didn't know half the things she did or half the places she visited on a daily basis. Her values and sense of right or wrong was totally different from Palak. The situation Palak was in now, she knew wasn't good, hell, she hadn't expected to land here either but now that she had she was a bit scared. No matter how progressive or modern her thoughts were she wasn't this progressive. It was a mistake that had happened and the man responsible had refused to be of any help. The jerk. Palak had panicked and run. In Goa, she had had time to sit and think and she knew she had no choice but to confide in her sister. She would be the only one to understand her situation and help her. She hoped that Kanak would support her.

Kanak opened the door to her sister who looked she had just stepped out of a magazine. Wasn't she supposed to be in a mess? How did she manage to keep looking perfect? She should have looked stressed, and by that Kanak meant at least looked the part. She put her hand to her forehead for a second to get her thoughts together. What was she thinking?

"Wow, di," Palak said chirpily, "I wasn't sure if you were really here I had thought you might be joking," she said and took a step forward to hug her.

Kanak was relieved and irritated at the same time. Palak was just too dumb. There was no doubt about it. How could she be so chirpy after what she had done? Or what she hadn't done? Maybe there had been a mistake. Maybe Palak had spoken of a different kind of mess. But then why had she been afraid to talk about it over the phone and insist she came here. Thankfully, there was a foyer at the entrance of the door since this was a suite and not a room. Aarav was not visible to Palak for now.

"Why would I joke?" Kanak asked as she pulled out of her hug, "You said you were in a mess and I should come as soon as possible," she said tightly. Her nerves were really feeling strained now.

"Di," Palak said suspiciously as she walked inside, "why is your room so different from mine," she asked as she walked all the way to the sitting area and stopped to gape at the décor.

It was a huge room with plush couches, designer mirrors, a huge patio overlooking the sea beyond, a glass dining table and a huge television on one wall. There was a separate kitchen area too. It was an apartment and in hotel language it was called a suite. It screamed money and class. How had Kanak the miser booked herself into a suite? Before she could ask she saw a man sitting on the couch with a half-smile on his face. How had she missed him when her eyes had surveyed the room? He wore a cream linen jacket with Chinese collar shirt and a matching casual trousers. She squinted her eyes. He was so...so handsome. So polished. And the way he sat there said he owned the space. Who was he? He looked familiar and it clicked. She gasped as she recognized him. Aarav Singhania. He was Aarav Singhania. He was Dhruv's brother. She whirled around but Dhruv wasn't there. What the hell was he doing here? And why was Kanak with him? Did they know each other? Did her sister know about her problem? She stared at the man. Dhruv had told her he was a devil and the very devil sat in this room....suite, she mentally corrected, a few feet away from her. She gulped as color drained from her face.

"Hi," she heard him say, "you must be the missing sister," he said sarcastically. His voice so cold Palak practically shivered. "I am Aarav Singhania," he said and Palak actually took a step back his voice sending chills up her spine, "but judging from the way you are looking at me it seems you do know who I am," he said and gave a half smile, "take a seat," he told her.