Chapter 27

Kanak stared out of the window of her taxi. It was good to be back in familiar surroundings. The tall buildings, the rush of the cars, the jams, the humidity. She was very aware of the sulking silent girl who sat next to her. Though Kanak wanted to feel light she just couldn't shake off the tension for the life of her. Her mind going over all that had taken place on their journey back to Mumbai.

They had left sharp at three thirty. Palak had thrown a tantrum though not in front of them but in front of Dhruv. But Aarav had put his foot down and Dhruv had accepted his brother's decision. Palak hadn't been happy about it at all. Next she had wanted to travel with Dhruv in a separate car but that hadn't taken place either. Oh! They did travel in two cars so Palak did get her wish but she had to go with Kanak. All the way to the airport Palak had cribbed and complained, she had even cried. And Kanak hated Aarav for making her travel with Palak when she was in such upset mood. By the time they had reached their immediate destination which was the airport, Kanak was not only out of patience with Palak she had a headache. Aarav had once again been on the phone when they had stepped out. Dhruv had got their boarding passes and while Aarav was busy on the phone Palak had got her wish to finally sit with Dhruv while they waited to board. Kanak had thought they had made the classic example of an old saying 'Mice made merry while the Cat was away'. She had sat there and watched the two with mild interest and a wry smile. They had looked like little school kids. And she had shaken her head closing her eyes briefly to ease the building pressure behind her eyelids. They had sat on separate seats once they had boarded the flight. Aarav as usual had taken the seat away from them and Palak had sat with Dhruv a little further in the back. The flight was almost empty. Kanak had settled down after taking a couple of pills for headache from the hostess. She had closed her eyes, vaguely aware of the little sounds the couple produced or the dim hum within the aircraft. She had woken up once the pilot had announced landing. They had gotten off the plane and just before they had exited the building Aarav had asked her to step away from the others for a second. And she had.

"Well, I spoke to Virendra uncle and he is coming back tonight," he had informed her in a neutral tone and she had looked at him expectantly, "I do believe there is to be a wedding, and soon," he had gone ahead and she had felt relieved, "though how or when I am not sure as yet," he had told her and she had suddenly tensed.

"You do know there cannot be much delay over this," she had pointed out.

"I am aware of that, but I am only his brother and a cousin at that. So it is not going to be my decision to get them married, it is going to be Dhruv's parents," he had informed her dryly, "I have told his father everything. Once he is here we will know for sure how to proceed further," he had told her when she had opened her mouth to argue he had just raised his hand to stop her. "I will let you know as soon as things are finalized," he had said in his usual brusque way, "things should work in everyone's favor," he had said tiredly as he had looked at Dhruv and Palak who were lost in their own world, "so wait for my call and don't do anything foolish, keep it low," he had warned.

Kanak had wanted to retort but had restrained herself. She had known that now the decision was to be made by Dhruv's parents. And they could only wait. She hoped they did take a balanced decision and that the marriage did take place because otherwise she had no clue what they would do. She had accepted his words and nodded her agreement.

"How is your headache?" he had asked her suddenly.

And Kanak had felt her heart flutter a little. How come he had known she had thought? But then very few things got past his notice. Though despite knowing that she couldn't resist the urge to ask.

"You knew?" she had asked surprised.

"You had asked the hostess for medication loud and clear," he had reminded her then shrugging he had added, "I maybe a lot of things but deaf...am certainly not," he had said with his brand of arrogance, "I am always aware of what is going on around me," he had said.

"It is much better, thank you," she had replied a bit huskily. She hadn't known he had heard. Her sister had been least bothered.

He had inclined his head and then they had said polite goodbyes. Dhruv and Aarav had left in their car. While Kanak and Palak had taken a taxi.

Coming out of her thoughts Kanak realized they were almost home. She glanced at Palak who still sat in a huff and all because Kanak hadn't told her what Aarav had said. Kanak really needed a breather. The past few days had been a roller coaster ride. Coming to terms with reality hadn't been easy for her. She sighed as the taxi came to a stop. They got off and Palak carried her bags into the building without waiting for Kanak. And Kanak did roll her eyes at that. When was Palak going to get over her childish antics? She would be a mother in a matter of a few months and maybe a wife to an influential man in a matter of days. She shook her head and paid the fare then carried her overnight bag inside. She really needed to see Pratiksha. And she couldn't wait till the next day if she didn't want to burst out. She just couldn't.

***********************

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!