Chapter 37: Will You Be Alright?

[Listen to the music video at the end so you can focus on the lyrics.]

***

"It was Emma?"

"... Yeah."

"Things are developing well..." Melanie mumbled under her breath.

"Mel..." Mark let out in a low voice feeling discouraged.

The weather cooled down after the rain; a fresh breeze made them shiver under their thin clothes. The two of them wandered in the quiet streets of the neighborhood. The displayed benches in the park were still wet, forbidding them to sit anywhere. So Mark proposed something, 

"Let's go to a nearby café."

Melanie squinted, "Do I look like I want to grab a coffee with you? Just tell me what you have to say." Arms crossed, her expression meant gloominess and bitterness, not knowing how to act in front of him. To be nice or bad. She tried to reminisce the last time they hugged. When was it? She missed it dearly; listening to the heartbeat of the affection he had for her.

"We just need a place to sit and talk because it's cold and wet outside. I don't want you to get sick because of me."

"Sick? I'm already sick because of you." Right after the words had been spoken, she felt horrible. She did not mean it.

This statement hurt Mark deep inside. For the first time, he blamed himself for the way she acted toward him right now. It was his fault and he could not forgive himself for that. He sensed that Melanie stopped walking so he did the same, some feet away from her. He turned and faced her.

"I know it won't change anything or make you feel any better, but I'm sorry. I'm sorry to have neglected you these days and... especially yesterday. I know you have more free time right now and want to spend it with me."

Even though Melanie didn't feel any better, she was grateful that he acknowledged his behavior.

"However" he continued, "Emma came back and it's been a long time since I've seen her. We played a lot when we were young, being a blind like me. I protected her; we have been bullied many times you know. She was a precious friend of my childhood, she had importance to me. I hope you can understand better."

Melanie understood the friendship they shared, but refused to admit it to herself... completely yet.

"Even if the other guys were around, I was always there for her. We, most of the time shared our play times together as we mutually understood each other. Don't you have childhood friends that you..." Mark paused as he knew his words could hurt her. Melanie and friends: a painful story. She looked down and briefly started to recall her past years.

"I also have been bullied and only had a few friends by the end of elementary school. That's why I preferred my high school years... elementary school was just an endless nightmare."

Mark did not know about that bullying episodes of her life. He wanted to bring her in a corner and listen to all of it, then he would hug her for comfort. Melanie was more delicate than he imagined.

"You have been bullied about what?" he wondered because she seemed like a normal girl to him.

"I... don't want to tell you." Her heart was not prepared for that, even more when Mark upset her. "However, I know the feeling of rejection very well. I didn't know a blind guy would reject me as well one day. I feel unwanted...like I was just an option."