Chapter 51: Toy

Thirty minutes before...

"Why did you call me? It's so rare, I'm always the one calling you," Emma told Mark as she sat down on his bed with a huge grin.

Mark slightly pushed the door without completely closing it. He then installed himself next to Emma and remained quiet for a moment. With his soft hand, he grabbed hers making her blush.

"Emma," he said first. She thought the day finally came, the day he would acknowledge his feelings for her. "I have to talk to you about something."

"Okay, I'm listening to you."

"I don't know where to start," he admitted, too scared of her reaction.

"Start from the beginning," Emma suggested proudly as she giggled at Mark's loss of words and timidity.

"Should I?"

"I know right? It will take too long. Just go straight to the confession then!" She fidgeted on the bed excited.

"What?" Mark was taken aback and let go off of her hand. "I wasn't going to confess to you."

"... No?" Emma's expression changed from delighted to suddenly feeling uneasy right now. "Then, what?" Her voice quivered.

"I have to stop now. I can't do this anymore."

"What?"

"Your wish, being with you and all. I should have tell you no since the start."

"Why? Why? What's going on? I did something wrong?"

"You came back at a wrong timing."

"But but it's not my fault!"

"You should at least contacted me all those past years, but you didn't. You come back here eight years later and ask me to be your boyfriend. It's... nonsense." Finally the words had been pronounced. The truth. Words that should have been said since the reappearance of Emma in his life.

"Because you're the only one I've truly loved all this time."

"But people change, Emma. And, you have changed. You're not the same. Sorry but I don't love you the way you love me. My heart belongs to someone else."

"What, you've cheated on me?"

"Whoa Emma, excuse me but we were never dating."

"But for me, it was. And, who's that girl, I know her?" Displeased, Emma crossed her arms and sighed.

"It's Melanie."

"This sighted black chick from next door?!"

"I don't recognize you. I forbid you to talk about her like that!" Mark raised his dominant voice.

"That girl will leave you for another one, trust me, well if you don't leave her before. The day you'll accept to do that surgery and be able to see. What if you don't like her, if you don't like what you see?"

Mark stood straight of the bed in rage and walked away to calm down. He ruffled his hair in annoyance and came back to Emma.

"First of all, I'm not even sure to do this surgery and second thing, I'm sure of this: Melanie is prettier than you, inside out."

Emma scoffed as if she wasn't hurt but you could tell in her voice she was. A lump in the throat, she replied with, "why don't you see how beautiful of a person I am. We had a good time together!"

"My life is here while yours is in Taiwan. The End."

"I can't believe this..." Emma trailed off as tears betrayed her. "I'm sorry... I just... wanted to see you and... have you. I thought I could have a chance. You don't know how much you were important to me when we were kids."