Chapter 44: I'm Still There

JB and Youngjae wandered in the building searching after their moms. They didn't walk far away because it would be stupid to get lost. They slowly got close to a corner when they heard murmurs echoing in the hallway. It looked like two women were bickering. JB and Youngjae could recognize these voices anywhere.

"What are you two doing over there?" JB said as he nonchalantly walked forward along with Youngjae, his two hands in his suit pockets.

The two women turned their heads as the voice surprised them. They blushed from embarrassment or they just had a big argument once again.

"Omma!" Youngjae ran to Sooyoung. "Why are you drinking? Give me that bottle, Omma. Aish, so embarrassing! Your face is all red and look at your hair. Where are your shoes?"

"I'm fine! I'm fine!" Sooyoung said loudly while putting the bottle of alcohol on the floor and started leaving but almost slip. Youngjae came next to her, grabbed her arm and put it around his shoulders. "Let's go home, Omma."

JB watched them and then looked back at his mother with a deceived expression. He squinted when he saw the side of her face; a big red mark. He got a little worried but remained quite expressionless. "I don't even want to know what happened, but I bet it's your fault again. Your wars irritate me, really." He left and helped his aunt to walk.

The family picture in front of Sora made her shake and a little nauseous. The three of them, Youngjae, Sooyoung and JB walked together... like a real family. Sooyoung and her two sons by her side. Since the beginning JB wasn't Sora's own son; she felt like losing him each day.

She desperately needed her husband right now. Few meters behind them, she followed quietly while wiping away the rare tears she shed in her entire life.

~

"Where's the subway?"

Melanie walked for almost half an hour but couldn't find a subway station yet.

"Why did I want to walk?" She talked between her teeth as the wind became even more aggressive, hinting that winter might come sooner than expected. For the recent past years, the weather was acting strangely anyway.

"Seriously, I have no luck in anything. Even mother Nature doesn't like me."

She walked further in the streets and everytime she asked someone for the subway, they would all tell her different directions. They were worst than a GPS; at least a GPS was clear and straightforward. That's how she couldn't find her way back. "Aaaah!" She whined as the cold breeze slapped her bare legs making her stop in her tracks. "It's in moments like these Junior should appear!" She moaned in pain and annoyance.

*Car honk*

"What again?!" She screamed out before turning on her heels to see the identity of the driver. "PAPA TUAN!" She ran towards the car like an excited kid. "I'm so happy to see you!"

"I guess so! It's unlocked, come in!"

Melanie went in and Papa Tuan drove off. In a situation like this, he was surely the best choice. Junior didn't have a car, what could he have done?

Happy by the impromptu reunion, she didn't realize that Mark was in the front seat next to his dad. The moment she noticed him, all joy was washed away. Just a little.

"Mark told me you were going to take the subway. How could you walk for so long in this temperature? Don't you see what you're wearing right now?" Papa Tuan lectured Melanie.

Melanie grimaced at every word he spit out and felt ashamed. She knew he was only caring about her, but it wasn't always funny to be reprimanded by parents. Even by Mark's dad.