Chapter 74: Retrospection

While they we're all having snack time before Jackson could leave for class, Melanie had some time to rest on the couch letting the cramps fading away slowly until they were completely gone. Standing on her feet again, she dragged JB out of the house and they were on for a trip.  

"A cathedral?" JB said as he stood still staring at the facade of the monument. Melanie already walked up the stairs and before she could reach the top, she glanced behind noticing an unmotivated JB.

"What, you're Buddhist?" she asked. "Should we go to a temple instead?"

JB put a hand on his chest, saying with proud, "I'm a Christian."

"Then, come," she told him.

He bit his lips. Why would she bring me here? Wait, does she knows? After some consideration, he made up his mind and walked up the stone stairs following Melanie inside.

A complete calm caressed their hearing and the warm of the entrance area made them feel at home in comparison to the cold air from outside. After passing through another door, they were now in the nave. As they walked side by side on the aisle, their steps echoed in the immense emptiness; only three to four people were seen either praying on one of the wooden seats or lighting up votive candles.

Impressive shimmering chandeliers hung from the ceiling down to the central aisle, meters above their heads, giving a dimmed atmosphere which felt inviting. With the long pillars standing in different corners, the place looked taller than it seemed and made JB and Melanie looked like two little people. 

Melanie found a place for them and she slid on her left sitting on the bench followed by JB. They were situated in the first half of the area, not too far from the choir which boarded the sanctuary. Their eyes wandered naturally, admiring the architecture, the sculptures, the light of the day shining through the colored glass of the windows that depicted biblical scenes. And, the cross.

The peaceful ambiance comforted JB, he felt at ease and with Melanie next to him, it was just right.

"There's going to be a Mass?" he asked, clueless.

"Later this afternoon but I didn't come for that. But we can come back again if you'd like to assist."

"Uh? No, it's alright." 

Melanie giggled at his awkwardness. "It's been a while since you've visited a church, uh?"

"Yeah," he snorted, "it's been months until that recent wedding a few weeks ago."

A slight smile appeared on her lips as they both stared in front of them aimlessly. Two human souls joined together in the silence of their yet unspeakable memories.

"It's okay," she replied. "I don't believe in coming every Sunday to be called a good Christian or whatever other religions. Well, that's how I think. Everyone has their own ways of expressing or practicing their faith or spirituality, I believe."