Chapter 50: Gray

"It was great to see you again, Mel!"

"Me too. We had fun today, don't you think so?"

Melanie just completed her shift work at the Bord-de-l'Eau senior's residence she worked as a beneficiary attendant for two long years already. During summer vacations, she would spend at least four days a week at her job.

Now, since her current semester was on hold because of her sudden incident few weeks ago, she would be able to work the same amount of days. It felt great to see her team again and the numerous seniors who lived here. 

"See you tomorrow?" Stephanie, a plump yet bubbly middle-aged woman she liked to work with; one of her best partner in crime.

"Yes, Stephanie. Bye!"

Melanie walked to the locker's room, reserved for women only, to take off her uniform and put on her normal clothes. Right after, she ran outside to take the first bus way back home.

None of the guys answered her text messages since their hangout two days ago. Maybe they were still scared of her? No way.

She got off at the convenience store because the last meal her stomach had digested consisted of a simple chicken sandwich she prepared yesterday. The dinner would be in two hours but she couldn't wait that long. Buying snacks popped to her mind. Junior and one of the two youngsters might be here, another good reason to stop by.

"Hey, Yugyeom-ah!" she said, and then, "oh, JB?"

"Hey." He waved nonchalantly.

Melanie observed her surroundings and noticed how clean the place appeared to be. A fresh aroma even stagnated over. Her attention turned back to JB. "You work here now?"

"Yeah, more like voluntary work than an actual employee."

That statement made her raised up her brow. Suddenly? "Is it because Junior's not around, you're standing in for him until he comes back? Where is he?"

Half right, half wrong, JB waited quietly before answering, "he's upstairs in his room."

"Oh, okay. Let me grab some snacks first."

Right at this moment, Junior ambled down the stairs with his lined pea coat on. Melanie stopped in her tracks and beamed. "Hi, Jinyoungie!" Her lips curled down when this last one's expression remained tensed, serious. He rushed to her with confident steps. 

Melanie followed Junior with round concerned eyes; two white bandages ornated his seemingly exhausted face. Pale. Now standing in front of her, he pulled her outside. Lucky for them, no clients cared much. 

"What happened?" She asked but for a weird reason, an intimidating aura flew over Junior. As he approached her she stepped back until the brick wall behind immobilized her. Her mouth was dry because of the lack of water she ingested today at work, therefore, she had a hard time swallowing. The cold air didn't help either.

"Junior?" JB walked out of the store to see what was going on. Junior held his hand up to interrupt him.

"I'll go straight to the point," Junior first said looking deep into her eyes. No, It wasn't threatening at all, just a more serious side of him we weren't used to. "That promise with my mom, what was it about?"

This day came. The day Junior would know everything. JB frowned and got curious about the long-awaited response. Melanie felt like shrinking under Junior's question.

"I already told you, Junior. I won't tell you. Ask your mother about it," she regained some confidence.

He tilted his head. "Is it about her cancer?"