Chapter 52: Breathe

A stroll in the evening was always welcoming. At this period of the year, darkness decided to come this early at 5 p.m. Jackson and Melanie enjoyed the cozy weather. Trees almost all naked, leaves fading to a brown, tarnished tone and the wind proceeded to make them whirl on the ground.

They bought hot chocolate which was Jackson's idea and then talked their hearts out to each other; mostly Jackson did. Melanie wouldn't say a word about her own problems since she came only for him. They were things about Jackson that surprised her, opposite to his more goofy and jovial side.

He talked about his future plans in fencing to her and how he wanted to make great memories with his friends before leaving. But the past weeks turned him into a lone. By his perspective, nobody seemed to care about him. At first, he accused Melanie of being the culprit of him being a solo half-jokingly but told her to not take it personal. She came all the way to his house because she worried about him which he didn't expect from her. It somewhat erased the grudges he had against her.

"Imma really an important friend to you?" He asked her.

Melanie's eyebrows went up curving in surprised by his question. Insecurity must have haunted his mind, she thought.

"Hmm, let's see..." She hesitated for a moment as if she got nothing to say just to tease him. She nudged him playfully to bring his smile back. "Hey! You're the only one I've talked about my difficulties in College. The first guy I've danced with. The first guy to come to my house. The first one I've hated to death and then forgave. You're the only one to know the date of my birthday. And now, I've let you link arms with me. So, what do you think?" She slapped his arm.

Yes, they walked with linked arms. Jackson grabbed her arm to put it around his. Melanie was startled at first but knew it was only the way Jackson was, the way he showcased his friendship with skinship. You had to know him well to not misunderstand his acts as something else. He was just a kind and well-educated guy.

Jackson smiled with idiocy after what Melanie just said. "Ah, I think I'm important," he replied in a childish way.

Melanie chuckled. "You're funny! Of course, you are. What a ridiculous question. Stop being so insecure," she said with confidence.

Jackson glanced at her. "You should say that to yourself too."

"What?"

"Stop being insecure... like you're not worth it."

Melanie gulped hard trying to understand the meaning behind his words even though she knew exactly what he meant.

He continued, "you might feel like you're a toy but you're not."

Head down, Melanie stopped her steps making Jackson stop too. She slowly looked at him. "But I feel that way, though."

"Only with Mark."

"Now thinking about it, with everyone else too."

"How's that so?" Jackson furrowed his brow for further explanation.

Melanie sighed and shrugged. "You, you're leaving for China next year. JB is going to audition for JYP and I'm pretty sure they'll take him so he'll leave too. Junior has the same dream. Mark... Mark is here but prefer another girl anyway. Everyone is here now but will soon disappear one by one to leave me all alone here. The reason I hate making new friends."

"Not because I'll leave I'll stop being your friend. I have a lot of friends around the world you know."

"So, I'll just be another friend from around the world."

"You'll still be my friend!" Jackson responded seriously. "I think it's great to have a lot of friends. When I'll go to different places, I'll actually have someone to play and talk to."