Chapter 65: Winter Child

"Can you stop that, please? Always escaping situations. I didn't tell you to run away." JB addressed in a serious manner.

Melanie stopped in her tracks as a sudden strange feeling invaded her but she wouldn't turn around to face him.

Even if JB knew the reason of her behavior he still bother to ask, "Why are you acting like this with me?"

"Nothing," she lied while breathing out heavily.

JB pulled her arm gently so she could finally face him. When their eyes met, the short eye contact they shared lasted only one second before their eyes wandered in the void.

As he couldn't take it anymore, JB spoke first. "I know this is because what you've heard over the phone-" Melanie hushed him which startled him. She refused to hear anything about that matter but JB continued. "At the party but it's really not what you think."

Melanie lifted her face up to JB this time before her eyes betrayed the contact once again. In loss of wise words at this very moment, she just remained quiet. She didn't know what to say. JB wished he could hear her thoughts, somehow.

"Stop being awkward with me, uh?"

The monotony of his voice irritated Melanie quite a bit; the type of voice that lacked color, and any emotionalism or sensitiveness

The monotony of his voice irritated Melanie quite a bit; the type of voice that lacked color, and any emotionalism or sensitiveness. It could mislead you at first thinking he might be a cold guy but Melanie knew better: it was only the way he talked, most of the time. And, he wasn't a cold guy.

Melanie's lips opened up hesitantly. "It's just that," she paused taking a moment to gather up her courage to finally speak up. "I've discovered that my past crush was the type of guy I didn't think he was and I don't know if I should feel relieved about that as if I lost my time. Somehow I think I should feel relieved I didn't end up..." She abruptly stopped.

A perplexed frown appeared on JB's face and frowned hard Melanie didn't know if it was anger, hurt, or both.

"What? With me?" He tilted his head waiting from a reaction. "I'm far from being what you think of," he replied.

"Sleeping with a girl you've just met the same night," she retorted wanting to start an argument.

"I told you it's not what you think. Why do you care anyway? You should just content yourself of Mark and stop judging my actions." He raised his voice.

"You're right. It's none of my business." But somehow I can't help it, I just can't.

"This is so stupid... Even if I tell you that nothing happened between me and that girl, you won't believe me. The most stupid thing is that the reason why nothing happened is because you fill my mind but you surely don't even care anyway. Am I right?" JB huffed. Stress invaded his entire body as he waited for her response. Melanie was a bit taken aback by his revelation. "Forget this. And, don't think of me as the kind of guy you think I am. That's an insult. I'm not like that."