Chapter 39: Smile Again

"Your blood cells level starts to be in the healthy range thanks to the help of the medication. I guess you also eat better. How do you feel?"

Dr. Anderson fixed Melanie as he waited for her response, but she seemed in another place right now. The doctor cleared his voice making her pop out from her deep thoughts. Something obviously bothered her.

"Are you okay Melanie?"

She blinked her eyes and made a fake smile, "Y-Yeah, I'm fine. Excuse me, what were you saying before that?"

The man put his two large palms on his desk and bent forward with a serious face, "I asked how you feel, but you seem somewhat, how would I say... depressed?"

Melanie's eyes widened in surprise, "Pardon me? Depressed you say? I'm not depressed. So now can you give me that paper so I can return to my part-time job. Doing nothing is frustrating," she requested in a polite manner.

A hand under his chin, he analyzed her and exhaled, "Hmm, I don't know if it's because of your anemia or the side effects of the medication, but you seem dejected."

As Melanie reminisced the events of the past days she bowed her head down, discouraged. "I'm just going through a hard time right now."

"Your boyfriend?" he asked. Melanie lifted her head slowly to make eye contact with him. She just froze there without a word to speak, to confirm. The man in front of her understood, "Well every couple goes through hard times you know. It's part of the life." He smiled to himself when he remembered Mark again, "The guy I saw taking care of you every day when you were in the coma right? I think he has a kind heart. The way medical team talked about you two... that would be such a waste if things between you two--" he stopped when Melanie's eyes became watery; she turned her face to hide her soft tears. He felt even more guilty. "Nevermind, it's not of my business uh? What a fool I am!" he avowed amusingly and slapped the side of his face. He succeeded to make her chuckle a little.

Busy to wipe her last tears, Dr. Anderson signed few medical papers to finalize the checkup. When he finished all of the work in silence, he gave her a document, "Here it is. That's your medical paper saying you can get back to your part-time job. Start slowly okay? I know your lessons are suspended for this semester meaning you have more free time, but please don't overwork. If you don't feel well or need something else you can always call me for another appointment."

She nodded while uttering a simple "Thank you," and left the office quietly.

The elevator's door was opened so she immediately went in and push the button for the main floor. Arrived after three floors, she walked out but accidently bumped into a woman. Her handbag fell and her stuff rolled on the floor. Melanie bent down on her knees to help her.

"I'm so sorry."

She ran after three medication bottles who continued to roll further.

The woman stepped in, "It's okay. I'll take them." 

"No it's fine, I have to help you. It's my fault." Melanie replied still showing her back to her. She grabbed all the pills bottles and recognized some of the names. Hmm, isn't that for chemo? Not sure but I think it is, she rummaged through her nurse-to-be brain.

While she stood up and turned back, the woman was waiting for her. She looked so angelic, like her own son. Now knowing the identity of the owner of these pills, Melanie's smile faded away feeling sorry.

"H-Hi," her lips curled up in a weak half moon as she handed Junior's mother the pills. She helped her put them back in the purse.

Junior's mother smiled brightly at her, but her lips trembled a little. "Thank you young lady." She zipped her bag to avoid another accident. Melanie stood there waiting for something more. She wasn't the type to go into people's business, but it was Junior's mother. The need to know about her friend's mother condition grew each second.