Chapter 43: Uncertainty

The guests were now in the midst of huge celebration as the newlywed couple left the place, overjoyed by mixed emotions. As people shouted out their best wishes for them, they waved goodbye until they reached outside where the party continued. Everyone took out their cell phones to keep memories of this wonderful day so they could upload their shots on their SNS.

Melanie was still in a daze, standing on the same spot as she contemplated the wedding bouquet locked in her hands. She didn't believe in those things called "faith" or "destiny" when it came to love. The reason: it didn't happen to her, yet. Her lucky star never had been very good to her. She had a hard time imagining getting married to someone because of her lack of experience in that love relationship area.

The way she held these flowers with such firmness right now was a sign that she wanted things to change. She wanted to believe in faith, destiny, and love. Perhaps, her future husband was around, closer than she thought, or maybe not. So many thoughts bounced left to right in her head and she didn't know what to really think about all of this. From her perspective, it was hopeless.

Everything stopped around her and she let go off the bouquet until it touched someone's foot on the floor. That was when she finally came back to reality.

"Why you dropped the bouquet?" Junior annoying gentle voice woke her up. He handed her back the flowers but she wouldn't move a finger.

Melanie stayed silent for a moment as she analyzed him seriously. She wasn't angry but Junior wasn't used to that kind of expression from her and his ears became hot, embarrassed by her serious yet intriguing demeanor. Suddenly, the floor became his best friend to look at for a moment.

 Suddenly, the floor became his best friend to look at for a moment

She exhaled. "You. You again."

Junior raised his eyebrows trying to understand the meaning behind the words she just uttered. "Hm?"

"Why? Why you're always the one who's there in these situations? When I cry or when I'm vulnerable?"

"I-I-..."

"Do you like me?" Melanie asked frankly for once. 

"I like you."

Melanie got flustered by his response and somehow felt betrayed. The sound of a deep voice behind her made her shake. "Repeat what you just said?" Mark started taking big steps forward.

JB had time to keep Mark away and glared at Junior with an uncomprehensive expression. You could tell he was flustered like Melanie, but also pissed off like Mark. "Are you crazy? What do you think you're doing here?"

"T-That's... That's a misunderstanding, I swear. That's not what you think it is, really." Junior defended. Himself was flustered by his own answer, but what he meant wasn't what they really thought. A bit lost by the situation, he was too slow to even explain himself because his brain suddenly ran out of wise words.