Chapter 73: Crimson

"How was your day?" Melanie asked Mark as they talked to each other on the phone. Sitting on her bed, pajama on, she desperately tried to find the perfect position with her heating bag placed on her tummy. The painkillers she swallowed minutes ago would only work their magic in half an hour or so.

"Quite chaotic, or exhausting I should say. The teachers babbled on long exhaustive slideshows and they don't even let you understand the content, they skip on the next one right away. Then, whenever I had a break between classes I would study but it's not very helpful for me doing it in school, and I hate studying," Mark replied.

Melanie giggled faintly while cringing. "I don't think anyone like studying... Tomorrow is my day off, I could help you if you want!" she said. It had been days since they last saw each other.

"You won't be bored? I thought you hated anything implying numbers."

"Yeah... True." Melanie completely hated Finances, Mathematics, Statistics, things that gave her brain a heart-pounding headache. "But, wouldn't it be less boring with me around?" She tried to remain enthusiastic about it.

"I don't wanna give you a hard time," Mark confessed. "And I think you should rest while you can. You must be tired. You've fainted last week, remember."

Melanie couldn't help but sigh heavily showing her annoyance toward his replies.

True, two days ago she was with JB and their friendship seemed to have jumped levels, we could say they became more intimate, but even so, she didn't forget Mark. The words Mary said that other day kept passing through her mind. She refused to give up on Mark that early, however, it seemed like he wasn't making any efforts. She proposed to help him studying so they could spend some time together but he refused.

Somehow, Melanie felt alone. Jackson and Junior were also busy with their own studies and preparation for the final exams. And, she didn't hear any news from JB the past two days; he buried himself inside the house from what the guys told her.

Out of a sudden, she felt like crying. Her eyes were filled with water. She just wanted to cry right now.

"Why you don't wanna see me?" she quievered as tears fell out.

"O-Of Of course I wanna see you but--are you crying?" Mark stammered startled by her tone. He could hear her sniffs over the phone. She wouldn't answer as she continued to cry quietly. "Melanie, you're crying? I've made you cry?"

"My life is so... This is so hard like... I'm I'm the worst girl ever... I feel like trash... I can't even... Ugh! Why is this happening?" she mumbled.

"Wha-What's go-going on babe? Don't say things like that..." Mark tried to comfort her.

"I miss you... I miss you, I really do but... Oh my gosh!" She whispered, instinctively gripping the heated pad that was placed on her stomach. A wave of cramps hit her.

"I miss you too."

"No, you don't!" she suddenly shouted.

A silence filled the line for a while before a confused Mark talked again. "What I have done?"

"What have you done?!" She yelled as the second wave of cramps stabbed her down there. And then, she was back to crying. "You don't wanna see me. You don't even want me to help you studying. Why you're so... You're hiding something from me?" She wiped the tears from her face.

That anguishing time of the month: period week. It started yesterday at work when she was helping a resident with his food. She felt severely nauseous. Rebecca, one of her co-workers, took her place for few minutes while Melanie rushed to the bathroom and became sick.