Chapter 67: Fifty Shades of JB

Under the gray sky, JB got pushed by gusts of wind, his clothes slightly brushed off by autumn leaves. He didn't mind since it only got him to walk faster to get to his destination. He already knew his cooking plan, so as soon as he stepped inside the grand supermarket, his basket filled up in less than fifteen minutes with some vegetables and meat. Once he thought he was done, he glanced down at his ingredients making sure he had everything he needed. He hurried to pay and walked back home thinking about Melanie left alone.

While entering home, he snorted, satisfied. He almost got wet as the rain threatened to pour down; there was only a mist for now. JB tip-toed his way to the kitchen until he heard a huge sound coming from Melanie's room. He raised his eyebrows in astonishment and hurried his steps. Melanie felt completely asleep, and more to this, she snored. JB let out a "whoah... daebak." and grinned while shaking his head.

The kitchen of Melanie's house was of a small size but with good dimensions. JB turned the light on because of the darkness spreading inside by the dull weather outside. He placed his two grocery bags on the beige ceramic counter and bent down to search for a saucepan and other appliances he'll probably need.

There were times where JB happened to be a victim of clumsiness and today was the case. He provoked a loud orchestra with steel bowls, covers, and utensils crashing on the floor. The muscles of his face stretched and then remained tensed as he stood still with round eyes. He remained motionless like a sculpture, embarrassed. Without wasting time, he washed up his mess and started his cooking session.

Melanie woke up from her reverie and came back to reality when she heard the huge sound in the kitchen earlier. It startled her at first because the last thing she remembered before falling asleep was that JB was gone. For a second she thought a robber suddenly entered the house but she knew it wasn't the case when she heard JB's singing voice. This guy was always singing, always; a human radio. His soothing voice helped her fall back asleep for twenty more minutes until her stomach couldn't let her sleep in peace anymore.

Despite the fatigue, she resigned herself to stay any longer in bed and climbed off with her favorite baby blue soft quilt that she wrapped around with her hands. Once she left her room, she turned to the right toward the kitchen entrance. The delicious aroma escaping from the mushrooms bathing in a brownish creamy sauce made her stomach growl. When she approached closer, JB's wide back welcomed her as he stood in the far back. He seemed to be busy, cutting other vegetables on the cut board.

Melanie didn't want to call his name, afraid he could cut his finger so she stayed quiet for a while. She noticed the length of his black hair got a little longer. It might explain why he wore a hat almost every time; it naturally got more curves and seemingly fluffy. The kind of hair you would like to caress every minute, every hour, well, every day. 

JB finally turned around, and let out a gasp, surprised by Melanie's presence. He had a hand on his chest by the little shock.

"Since when are you there?"

Melanie pressed her lips together, trying not to laugh at his reaction.

"I've been there only one or two minutes, I think. Sorry."

He tilted his head a little. "Did I wake you up?" he asked softly.

She shrugged. "Well, I couldn't sleep anymore. I'm so hungry," she said while glancing behind him. Two pieces of red seasoned steak on a plate were waiting to be cooked, along with a bunch of spinach, and tomatoes. And, the saucepan containing the mushroom sauce was on medium heat. Melanie's lips curled up impressed by him. He was really cooking. 

"You should go rest a little more," he said seeing how she looked.

Melanie shook her head. "I told you I can't sleep anymore. I'll watch you cook instead." She sat on the stool behind the kitchen bar. It reminded her when she used to cook with her dad, she liked it a lot. Her dad was a very good chief; home made pizzas were his specialty during her childhood, along with birthday cakes. She felt a pang of nostalgia, somehow. JB would be the second man she'll assist.